Pond Boss
Posted By: halffull bentonite vs ess-13 vs other - 12/01/11 02:41 AM
New to the forum and desperate to get input. I have a huge hole on my property that i hope one day to actually hold water. The pond has never held water more than half way for more than a week. I live in virgina where ponds are everywhere. I'm thinking about ESS-13, bentonite or local clay if a can find it. Anyone know the cost and success of ess-13 in virginia? thanks in advance
Posted By: Brad Vollmar Re: bentonite vs ess-13 vs other - 12/01/11 02:59 AM
Sounds like you have a leak that should be relatively easy to find, since it leaks out so fast.

Is it an embankment pond (has a dam) or a dug out pond (a hole like you mentioned).

If the pond fills and then recedes real quick to a point and then levels out and recedes slowly, investigate the area below and at this line where it leveled out.

Native clay is best if it can be found on site. I would get a qualified contractor out and discuss this with them.

I have recommended ESS-13 and bentonite as last resorts if native clay is unavailable.

I
Posted By: esshup Re: bentonite vs ess-13 vs other - 12/01/11 03:04 AM
+2 on native clay provided it's compacted properly. There aren't any easy quick fixes to a leaking pond. It's better to do it right this time, or the money that you spend will be washed away with the water in the pond.
Posted By: halffull Re: bentonite vs ess-13 vs other - 12/01/11 03:12 AM
It is an embankment pond (at least half the depth). I don't believe it's a singular leak rather more like a sponge. It's empty now and I can clearly see the different layers of soil. Bottom 5 feet looks like good clay (red and yellow mix) but upper layers are rocky/soil mix. Looking for local clay but not having much luck. Read a little on ess-13 and was curious about cost and effectiveness. thanks for the input.

Scott
Posted By: Sniper Re: bentonite vs ess-13 vs other - 12/13/11 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: halffull
It is an embankment pond (at least half the depth). I don't believe it's a singular leak rather more like a sponge. It's empty now and I can clearly see the different layers of soil. Bottom 5 feet looks like good clay (red and yellow mix) but upper layers are rocky/soil mix. Looking for local clay but not having much luck. Read a little on ess-13 and was curious about cost and effectiveness. thanks for the input.

Scott

Call Mike Otto. He is a major player in this org. and is the go to "dirt" guy. I know he has experience and opinions on these products.
Posted By: phonelines Re: bentonite vs ess-13 vs other - 12/20/11 11:17 AM
You just need a qualified and well experienced person to fix it as soon as possible, otherwise your property may get washed away!!
© Pond Boss Forum