Pond Boss
Posted By: Kiko Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 02/25/11 09:59 PM
I have been told to lime the bottom of the pond before I let it start to fill up. I would think the lime would wash down the system!
Posted By: zander Re: Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 02/27/11 01:10 PM
Kiko,

I had the same concern, but ordered the lime anyway. The delivery guy said that a good morning dew would be good enough to set it down. I noticed after he was finished that his tire tracks had compacted my pond bottom a bit more and mixed his lime into the bottom where he drove. After he left I drove my truck all around and it really mixed it into the bottom well. This also tightened the bottom up better so was needed anyway. I filled the tank up with fuel, and put as much of a load in the truck as I could get. I don't think this would work if your pond bottom is already really tight. Some mix it in with a tractor, I don't have one but my way worked really well for me.

Attached picture IMG_1050.jpg
Posted By: ewest Re: Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 02/27/11 01:51 PM
It is best to spread out the lime over the bottom. However it is not a must as a spreader truck can do an ok job if it has access. Depending on the size and shape and access of the pond there are other ways to spread lime around but it is a lot easier to do when there is no water.
Posted By: Kiko Re: Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 02/28/11 02:05 AM
Thanks but my question is really if the dirt is limed, when the water floods it and I have moving water in and out through an incoming creek and an intake pipe, does the water quality not revert to what's coming into the pond in the first place? I'm questioned the value of liming my new construction pond.
Posted By: ewest Re: Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 02/28/11 02:52 PM
How much inflow ? How often does the water exchange. What is your alkalinity ?
Posted By: Kiko Re: Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 03/02/11 01:38 AM
The flow would keep an 8" pipe full (eyeballing it). Pond will be ~4 acres. Had the creek water tested at a pool supply house with a Ph 6.9 and Alk 50. That's all the data I have. There are small minners in it now.
Posted By: ewest Re: Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 03/02/11 02:29 AM
Did you have the dirt from the pond bottom tested ?
Posted By: Kiko Re: Lime a pond with water flow in & out - 03/07/11 01:25 AM
I have had surrounding soil tested for food plots in the past with a ph of less than 6.0 which is typical for this area so the answer is lime, lime, and more lime. I was just wondering id the effect of liming the pond bottom would not just be dilluted after the pond was filled.
© Pond Boss Forum