Pond Boss
Posted By: Mark Wagley Bucket Test Questions - 08/06/10 12:18 PM
I have cored my dam site and borrow area and the dam site looks really good but the borrow area is suspect. I am waiting on results from the lab but am doing a bucket test while waiting. I took a large plastic pickle jug and drilled 8 each 3/8" holes in the bottom and lower side. Packed bottom 3" with pea gravel, placed my borrow material 5" deep, added water and compacted. Filled jug with water and in 1 day emptied. Compacted soil with coke bottle again, filled with water and covered top with saran wrap. Last night lost 1". Is this an acceptable amount of loss and how long do you run the test? Also if you see any problems in my procedure please advise. I also performed the same test in a plastic cup without the pea gravel and lost no water for 2 days.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Bucket Test Questions - 08/06/10 01:42 PM
The first 2 tests it sounds like you lost more than you'd probably be comfortable with, but the last test sounds more encouraging. All the same material I assume?

I'm not a dirt guy by any means. I was advised to make a ball, about the size of a baseball, maybe a little smaller. I put this into a bucket of water and let sit for 20-40 minutes. When I took it out very little had fallen off the ball into the water, the outside was greasy, the inside was dry, and when I split it apart it became 2 whole pieces. I was told this was good stuff. Don't know if you'd like to give that a try as well, though your methods sound pretty good as well.

Good luck and an expert should be along to give you more opinions shortly.
Posted By: Mark Wagley Re: Bucket Test Questions - 08/10/10 12:18 PM
Lost a total of 4" over 5 days and is water is half full now. Think I will fill it back up today and retest. Any help from the dirt guys would be appreciated. This is the only cost effective dirt available for the core so very important for the project to move forward.
© Pond Boss Forum