Pond Boss
Posted By: Meredith R How much dirt - 12/11/08 05:02 PM
We are going build a fishing pond 18 feet Deep. It will be aproximately 400 feet long by 150 feet. It will hsve a 2:1 slope on the front and a 3:1 slope on the back. I am trying to figure out how much soil I will have to have hauled in. Can anyone please help me?
Posted By: rmedgar Re: How much dirt - 12/11/08 05:47 PM
Hauled in? Do you mean for landscaping around the pond?
If that's the case, you should have enough from the top few inches that you remove when digging the pond. If you mean "haul out", then
someone will come along shortly and answer that for you.
Welcome to our family. \:\)
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: How much dirt - 12/11/08 10:49 PM
Meredith,
If you are building a dam to impound water, ideally you won't need to bring in any dirt. You should be able to hire an experienced earthmover who knows how to build ponds who can use the dirt on site.
Keep in mind, there are many, many different kinds of soil. To build a dam, you will need clay. Not all the dam must be clay, but key portions of it will.
I would find someone who knows about pond building and bring them on site to see what your project is about and then plan, plan, plan!
The more planning you do, the better your project will be.
We'll be glad to help.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: How much dirt - 12/12/08 02:05 AM
Meredith, Bob has written a very good book about planning building and developing a new pond and it is called Perfect Pond Want One. The book is available on this site - see the home page for a link button to order the book. Everyone that is going to build a pond should read this book. It has many ideas in it that will prevent problems, reduce headaches, and save money in the long run. It book is an important small amount of money very well spent considering the total investment of the pond.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: How much dirt - 12/12/08 11:17 AM
Welcome Meredeth:
You have come to the place of "one stop shopping" for your new pond. Here you will find welcoming experts,who are happy to help you figure it all out. I am hooked, I bet you will be too.
I got the magazine and now give it as Christmas presents. Check out the Podcast too.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: How much dirt - 12/12/08 12:45 PM
Meredith, nobody can answer your question without actually being on site, asking about your goals, means($$$), and testing of soils.

Most of us dig a hole in the ground and use the dirt to stop it up so we can impound runoff water from rains. In arid areas, we do a lot of rain dances.

Others dig a hole in the ground and use groundwater seepage to fill it. That's pretty iffy and dependent on your water table(s).

Yep, buy the book(s) and subscribe to the mag. Those are the cheapest part of the project and are pretty good insurance.
© Pond Boss Forum