Pond Boss
Posted By: BobbyB Algae treatment backfire?? - 06/23/20 08:48 PM
Hello!

I have done so much good work on my 7/8th acre pond, and it's all because of the reading I've been able to do on this forum. I'm hoping you can educate me again. This spring I introduced aeration into my pond in an overly gradual manner, and it's been a huge success. Hot days have come and passed with no real algae growth. So, I decided to step up my game and treat the little bits of algae that were cropping up on the edge of the pond, only along the wooded banks about 3/4 of the total shoreline, but the pond as a whole looked great. I bought some Cutrine plus for that little bit of algae, and Airmax's MuckAway + PondClear. We were very much hoping to swim in the pond come the 4th of July. I applied the MuckAway & Pondclear on a Monday, and applied the Cutrine+ on a Tuesday, and by Wednesday my pond went from clear to what you see in the attached pictures. I'm baffled, and very much wish I hadn't touched it. I applied each in a conservative manor being extremely cognizant of the directions in relation to my pond size. And I'm positive I was substantially light on the Cutrine. I don't know why it had this effect, what should I do?

Thank you for your time and help. Eagerly waiting your advice

Bobby B

Attached picture pond1.jpg
Attached picture pond2.jpg
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Algae treatment backfire?? - 06/23/20 10:12 PM
It looks like pollen to me. Maybe pine tree pollen?
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Algae treatment backfire?? - 06/23/20 11:22 PM
I'm concerned as that looks a lot like blue-green algae. I'll let the experts chime in. I think another identifier is is looking a bit like spilled pain, and stinks.
Posted By: ewest Re: Algae treatment backfire?? - 06/24/20 03:38 PM
Do you have a close up pic of the algae ?
© Pond Boss Forum