Pond Boss
Posted By: azteca What color of light. - 12/18/19 04:30 PM
Hello.

What color of light I should use (red or yellow) to observe Yellow perch at night without it running away.

Thank you
A+
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What color of light. - 12/19/19 12:11 AM
Generally yellow perch juveniles and adults are inactive at night and likely not attracted to any light. YP fry are attracted to night light. Attraction likely has more to do with zooplankton collecting at the night light. You will probably have to experiment with this light best color "thing" and enlighten us on your findings.
Posted By: azteca Re: What color of light. - 12/19/19 04:55 PM
Hello.

Thank you Mr. Cody, I use the white light to attract the Yellow perch larvae, but during the laying the big Yellow perch run away with the white light.

This spring I will buy a spot of each color, I will see with which color they stay there.

A+
Posted By: azteca Re: What color of light. - 02/01/21 06:34 PM
Hello.

Finally I receive the flashlight that I wanted, with the color blue-green-red and white.
I did not want a simple plastic to change the color.

I will be able to see what color the Yellow perch when laying eggs will stay there.

A+
Posted By: Jim Wetzel Re: What color of light. - 02/01/21 08:10 PM
I use red lenses on my flashlights when trying not to disturb fishes acclimated to low light levels. Similarly, when simulating night time for the fishes that are nocturnal a red light or even infrared source is used so I can still see. The infrared is so the camera can see.
© Pond Boss Forum