Pond Boss
Posted By: Felt Airline cable for chain - 10/21/19 08:17 PM
Can airline cable be used instead of chain to anchor rafts? If so, is it better or just an alternative?
Posted By: RStringer Re: Airline cable for chain - 10/21/19 11:35 PM
The aircraft cable we use is stainless steel also. I'm sure you can get other materials.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Airline cable for chain - 10/21/19 11:41 PM
The aircraft cable we use is stainless steel also. I'm sure you can get other materials. Its seems like its rated at like 15000 lbs. Prolly around 3/8 size. I'm sure someone will look up a chart but I can tell ya for sure. Its strong enough for what your doing. You stated in another thread you have rebar anchored in. I would wrap with garden hose like toy was saying and go for it. Not sure how many years it will last but I'm sure it's in the double digits.
Posted By: Felt Re: Airline cable for chain - 10/22/19 03:47 AM
So is the airline cable better at all... stronger, safer maybe, or lighter? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to do what makes the most sense long term and keeping things as safe as I can (guy who cleaned it out cringed at the idea of those heavy chains he found at the bottom). I did a quick search and found coated and uncoated, and one was 3/8 as you said.

Attached picture Screenshot_20191021-234340_Chrome.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20191021-234220_Chrome.jpg
Posted By: Felt Re: Airline cable for chain - 10/22/19 05:34 AM
Also, if it's a better option... what do you use to secure it?
Posted By: gehajake Re: Airline cable for chain - 10/22/19 11:31 AM
They make a cable clamp that you could secure it with but in your case you might consider getting a crimping tool and crimp a clamp on, a lot less chance of getting scratched up on when in the water, also the coated stainless steel cable will last indefinitely in the water and be a lot smoother if you came in contact with it underwater.
Also the breaking strength of it is pretty high, my theory is a 3/16' to 1/4" cable would anchor something in place pretty well.
Posted By: Felt Re: Airline cable for chain - 10/28/19 07:19 PM
Thank you!
© Pond Boss Forum