Pond Boss
Posted By: Mark Brown Snail Question - 06/02/14 12:30 AM
I have a 2 acre pond that is infested with spiral shell snails. They are about 1-1/12 inches in length and I would guess there is at least one per square foot of visible bottom. 3 years ago I stocked 1000 RES to help control them and this year I see a lot of dead snails around the shoreline and many that float up and get hung up around the grate covering the overflow.

I have not caught or seen a RES( shellcrackers) since they were stocked and I wonder why there are so many dead snails? Is it normal to have this kind snail density and mortality? Do the snails eat the FA or have any other beneficial value? Kind of perplexed here.

Thanks.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Snail Question - 06/02/14 12:33 AM
Snails normally eat algae attached to underwater surfaces. Snails do not live forever. They have live spans like any other animal and it is normal to see empty shells one they have lived long enough in a pond that they start dying of old age. .
Posted By: Mark Brown Re: Snail Question - 06/02/14 12:44 AM
Thanks Bill. I always assume something is wrong and get nervous. So I guess having lots of snails is beneficial in a pond that has FA?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Snail Question - 06/02/14 02:43 AM
Mark

I'll bet your RES are doing well with your snail population, even though it's a pretty liberal stocking rate. Remember that RES are different than BG and they tend to feed downward - more benthic - thus the terminal mouth. A 1/32 oz jighead tipped with a paddletail plastic, Gulp, or a nub of crawler fished on or near the bottom will help you target their zones better. They should either be spawning or just finishing I'm guessing for your latitude - sight fishing them on the beds is pretty reliable and they'll aggressively protect their zone.
© Pond Boss Forum