Pond Boss
Posted By: Langstrum PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 03:41 AM
I am attempting to finish filling my pond. I had just filled over my drain pipe to find that I have a leak! And everything was going so well… anyway the leak is on a 10 inch diameter schedule 80 pvc pipe at the joint of where the pvc was attached to the collar just before the valve. It was attached with pvc primer and glue. It looks to be leaking in only one place. There will not be a lot of pressure on the pipe/valve because it will only be about 3 feet under the water. Cutting out the pvc is really out of the question because the pipe/valve is now in a cement and block house and the pipe comes out of that into the pond where it goes through a liner and shot crete. So I am looking for some kind of way to stop the leak in place. Any help will be greatly appreciated! If you would like to see pictures I have some under Pond Construction - Selecting a Site - and my post is under the heading of - New pond builder with liner questions.
Posted By: Rainman Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 04:47 AM
Langstrum...Man that's gotta hurt!

I think we are looking forward to seeing your completed pond as you are!

Try contacting Kieth at www.ponddampiping.com and tell him Pond Boss sent ya. That Dam piping is what these guys do!
Posted By: jason7858 Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 02:08 PM
just a thought but i just seen on tv the other night where they can put a membrane in older pipes.......they use this for older sewer pipes and such.....try calling a plumber to see if they have the machine to do it..it looked like it was a fairly quick process and the pipe was like brand new when complete
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 03:23 PM
They make repair solvents and sealers for PVC, they also make sleeves that incase it then harden when cured, we used them inside of old pipes when I worked for the state however the stuff we used was put in the pipe and pressured air rolled it out and formed it to the pipes walls where it would harden and set up.. Very expensive. I would look into the leak solvents the joint will have to be dry either way..
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 03:27 PM
Try this

http://www.pvcleakrepair.com/?gclid=COqLvPn8saQCFdj75wodKiPT0w
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 03:33 PM
I have a client here in San Diego that uses the method described above (a liner is installed in the pipe that gets permeated with some sort of epoxy mix). This epoxy/liner then basically creates a pipe within a pipe. This is being used in San Diego as the city's water and sewer lines deteriorate.

PS: no one else finds it ironic that Rex is discussing PVC leaks?
Posted By: Rainman Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Oh Snap!!! grin

Besides, that ain't irony, it's personal restraint! Damn I hatestraight jackets!

Posted By: Rainman Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/01/10 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller

BGK, his joints are set inside poured concrete.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/03/10 07:45 PM
If his joints are inside concrete how are they leaking...?
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/03/10 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Oh, trust me, plenty find it ironic. What's really ironic is that only one person, all day long, has bothered to mention Rex's proclivity for punctured PVC! grin
Posted By: Rainman Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/03/10 08:58 PM
Sheesh Todd and Jhap! We were TRYING to stay on topic!!! The man has a leak!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/04/10 12:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Sheesh Todd and Jhap! We were TRYING to stay on topic!!! The man has a leak!

Something about which you are notoriously well-versed! grin
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/04/10 11:42 AM
Did he ever get anywhere with this? So is the water leaking in between the concrete and the the joint then leaking through?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/04/10 03:45 PM
Don't know BGK, he hasn't posted on this site since the post above.
Posted By: Langstrum Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/06/10 04:24 PM
Sorry for the delay, I have been busy with work. Thanks for the ideas/help. This is what has happened thus far. I decided to go ahead and finish filling up the pond while I had the chance (long story of using a farmers well water that I had to dump into an empty canal and then into a ditch in order to fill my pond all to avoid unwanted fish species) and this was accomplished by taking an inner tube and using a large clamp and creating a temporary seal over the end of the pipe. This allowed me to fill the pond and let the pipe dry out for the repair. The leak is along the collar and pvc joint just off from the top of the pipe. After a closer inspection I found that there seems to be a lack of pipe cement/glue in the area. The suggestion of using the pvc leak repair looked good but after a call to the company I found that they only make the pvc collars for up to 4” pipe and my pipe is 10”. I have kind of settled on a product called plast-aid. I ordered some and it should be here any day. If any of you have any experience with this stuff please let me know.

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz112/langstrum1/P1010284.jpg

Posted By: jason7858 Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/06/10 04:54 PM
hey langstrum good to hear your pond is full anyway...i looked at that site for the pvc repair and it seems to me you could make one of those repair kits with just a quarter inch piece of your 10 inch pipe....if you can get it around the pipe without it breaking....it would be a little short but just make sure you put it where the leak is...just a thought..good luck
Posted By: Rainman Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/06/10 05:01 PM
A good grade of silicone, your innertube and a couple clamps could be the easiest permanent solution as well.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/06/10 05:04 PM
Well if all else fails you have plenty of room you could cut off put in a new seal and coupler the pipe back together (that is if you can get the water out)
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/06/10 05:07 PM
I was under the impression it was incased in concrete. With the pics I can see you have more options and it's not really a major catastrophe just a pain in the a**. like the other person said I'd make a coupler and glue it up close to the fitting similar to the stop leak link I sent you..
Posted By: Rainman Re: PVC LEAK!! - 10/06/10 07:45 PM
I read the description as the joints being encased in crete as well. Glad it won't be nearly as big of a problem.
© Pond Boss Forum