Pond Boss
Posted By: GOPACK Help decifer pond soil test results - 03/04/10 03:01 PM
I got the results from my soil sample in my pond ( old pond, don't know how old) They gave me a recomended lime application of 2.1 tons/acre thats fine.
But I was hoping someone could help me interpret the other results and tell me if they are good or bad.

HM% (Humic matter?) 1.08
W/V ( weight to volume) 0.82
CEC ( cation exchange capicity) 10.4
BS% ( base saturation) 78%
Ac ? 2.3

pH 5.3
P-1 (phosphours) 49
K-1 (potassium) 51
Ca % (calcium) 62%
Mg (magnessium) 13%
Mn-1 201
Zn-1 254
Zn-Al 254
Cu-I 108
S-I 336
Na 0.6

Sorry about the long post but to me other tan the pH they are just numbers hoping to get some opinions from those who know what they mean
Posted By: gallop Re: Help decifer pond soil test results - 03/11/10 07:35 AM
No idea except for the basics, interested as well. Going to bump this to the top for you
I'm not very good at this but GUESS that the AC is the alkilinity. I assume that because alkilinity is defined as the acid neutralizing capability of the soil which effects the pH. I seldom worry about anything other than alkilinity and pH.

Hey Bill Cody!
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Help decifer pond soil test results - 03/11/10 01:39 PM
gopack just remmember many state agency rec lime amounts that help the pond alk (thus pH) for a year. If you plan to add your self. I guess that is fine. However we save our clients money by doing 4-6 tons/acre getting cheaper lime and applicaiton fees and much longer time frame to having to repeat process.
Posted By: ewest Re: Help decifer pond soil test results - 03/11/10 03:52 PM
This may help

Posted By: ewest Re: Help decifer pond soil test results - 03/11/10 03:56 PM

Welcome to Pond Boss. Start with your goals for the pond and land. Also gather as much info as you can about its past (you may have done this already). Once you have goals then you can plan how to get there.

The MSU book is a good place to start. You should get the soil (pond bottom) and water tested. It is not expensive and gives a base line to work from. LSU has good people who do that as does MSU. I like the LSU tests as they have more info. Below is an example.

This may help

A few pics would also help. Try to assess and possible plant problems , if there are any.

There are several related methods for assessing fish population status.

I will be glad to try and answer questions . Most questions have been answered on the Forum but they can be difficult to find. With your background you will not have any problems with pond management. It does take some time and effort.

© Pond Boss Forum