Pond Boss
Posted By: jakeb Fishing Tourney - 04/09/09 01:30 AM
Ok guys, im in a fraternity at Oklahoma State and for a new philanthropy project we are going to start a fall classic fishing tourney.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for putting on a tournament. Or some good rules to have. We just came up with this idea so we dont have a location or know if there will be a division for people fishing on land. So im open to hearing anything anyone has to say.

Thanks, Jake
Posted By: Lucky Larry Re: Fishing Tourney - 04/09/09 02:47 AM
Jake, I would recommend that you check with a couple of local tackle stores and pick up flyers for tournaments and ask who the good tournament directors are, and talk with them. You need very specific rules, good scales and be prepared to give lie detector tests. You will have to do a lot of promotion to get anglers to fish you.

Very few tournaments can exist today without sponsorship from businesses and with the number of tournaments available, most businesses were already tapped out before the business slow-down.

We have been publishing tournament news for over 20 years and I can tell you that putting on tournaments is not an easy task.

Good Luck,
Posted By: jakeb Re: Fishing Tourney - 04/09/09 05:44 AM
Thanks Larry, I think we will have students fish more than weekend warriors. Also, we raise about 20k every year for our cattle show (dont know if thats enough to put on a fishing tourney). Thanks for the advice, we are a long way from making it happen but we are sure gonna give it a shot!
Posted By: BrandonA Re: Fishing Tourney - 04/13/09 06:58 PM
Jake,

You may look into to hosting a sanctioned University Fishing Tournament. I read that many schools have bass fishing clubs and host and fish tournaments throughtout the country. Texas A&M has a club that fishes and maybe able to help.
Posted By: BrandonA Re: Fishing Tourney - 04/13/09 07:05 PM
Just did a quick google search.

Google Purdue Bass Club. Good info and something you may want to look into.
© Pond Boss Forum