Pond Boss
Posted By: viking solar battery charger 12v - 06/05/05 02:53 AM
I'm looking for a solar battery charger that I can leave on my boat to charge the trolling motor battery. I will also use it to trickle the battery on my tractor. Wondering if any of you know of a good source?
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/05/05 01:02 PM
Here's a link: http://21st-century-goods.com/page/21st/CTGY/SPTCharge

Looks like the $29.99 SE2 is what you're looking for.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/05/05 01:28 PM
I've tried the cheap ones to keep the 6 volt battery on my old Ford 8N charged. It doesn't work. I have been told to buy the good ones.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/05/05 03:37 PM
Viking, It will be tough to get a solar panel with enough current to charge a trolling motor. Ric's link shows a very good sturdy brand, the ICP, made in Canada. Fry's also sells them. They have several waterproof adapter cables with a variety of end connectors(alligator,ring lug, cig. lighter, etc. The 2 watt one will get you nothing. The 6 watt one will get you 400 millamps, meaning it will take 100 hrs to charge a fully discharged 40 amp hr, which is a small trolling battery.
The most watts per dollar comes from Harbor freight, and is 3 15watt panels in series for 45 watts. It includes a charge control panel. That is 3 amps charge rate and will recharge a partially discharged trolling battery on a bright summer day. 200 dollars. They have a 2 watt maintainer panel, sun visor clip on that can be used to trickle the other battery, if 12 volt. Or they have a 5 watt, which trickles at 350 milliamps.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/05/05 03:41 PM
correction: 3 15watt panels in PARALLEL.
Posted By: viking Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/05/05 07:48 PM
thank you all for your replies

Right now I'm leaning toward either the harbor freight 5 watt or the one from NorthernTool found here

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...matchallpartial

Although the NT one doesnt give a power rating, I inquired about it's power and am awaiting a reply. They both are 49.99. But after burgermans post I am wondering if 5 watts is going to be enough. I have a johnboat on a pond that I use twice a day. The battery only needs charging 2-3 times per year, but I just am lazing and dont want to be lugging that battery down from the pond. In the winter I would put it on the barn roof and connect it to my 12v tractor battery. Plus, my dog chewed the cables on my last charger and am in need of a new one anyway, thus the thought of solar.

I guess now, my biggest question is 5 watts enough and does 350MA equal 5 watts? As you can tell, this is all a learning experience for me.

thanks y'all
Posted By: burgermeister Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/06/05 04:04 PM
OHMS law. P=ExI, where P is power/watts, E is voltage and I is current. 5 =14(x) 5 divided by 14. Or just trust me(note my occupation).
If you use the motor for only 20 or so minutes a day, 3 or 4 times per year, it may be OK, but you will still need to charge it fully occasionally. I would go with at least one 15 watt panel from harbor. Get a cheap digital voltmeter and monitor battery voltage when you go fishing. When it gets down below about 12.5 volts with no charger connected, you will need to fully charge it. If you tell me how big the troller is, how long you run it, etc, I can give you more specifics.
Posted By: viking Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/06/05 05:18 PM
The trolling motor is a 30lb thrust motor. I use it atleast twice a day to go out to my Tilapia cage to feed them. I fish with it as well, so it gets 15minutes of run time daily atleast.
I'll take your word for it and go with the 15 watt panel. I'd rather spend a bit more now than go cheap and get something worthless.
Another ? Will the 15watt panel from HF stop charge when battery is full? Or is that what the volt meter is for?
Posted By: viking Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/06/05 05:28 PM
how about this set up from Northern Tool?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...174&R=200263174
Posted By: viking Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/06/05 05:39 PM
or this one

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...865&R=200306865
Posted By: burgermeister Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/08/05 01:05 AM
Viking, based on your use, the 5W may just squeeze you by, but batteries tend to lose a little charge on their on, and if you are using it, or you dont get full sun and considering your Northern climate you will probably be averaging putting 2 amp-hrs per day into the battery. That,s not much, and even with the 15Watt panel, that is only 1 amp charge for 6-8 hrs., a good trickle rate. Either the 11 or 15 Watt would be good. You may even want to trickle your fish feeder battery if you have it close.
You will not need a charge controller, it can never overcharge at 1 amp rate. I would still give it a fast charge occasionally to knock the sulphate off the plates. Sorry for rambling, but not much else I can add in the way of advice to this forum.

Let us know how it works out.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: solar battery charger 12v - 06/08/05 02:55 AM
burgermeister
Thanks for your insite.
I'm learning here too.
© Pond Boss Forum