Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 05:34 AM
Many of you have aerial photos of your ponds/ranches/acreages/et al and I'd like to have the same perspective of my place. Google satellite imagery hasn't been updated since I've built my ponds, so I'm looking to contract someone privately to provide photos. There are a number of outfits marketing these services in my area - my questions to those of you who are in the know are:

1. Any clue what I should expect to spend?
2. Any suggestions on questions I should pose to determine the reputible comapanies apart from the standard [may I see a portfolio of your work, references, customers, etc.]?

Any other ideas or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

TJ
Posted By: esshup Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 12:20 PM
TJ:

I don't know what it costs, but some things that I'd be curious about is:

What resolution are the pictures? If you get digital copies, can they be blown up for greater detail if needed?

I don't know what you are looking for in a picture, but I think that a couple of pictures that are taken at an angle might be just as interesting as one taken from straight up. You'll be able to see the elevation changes better.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 01:47 PM
TJ:

You may have overhead images available from sources other than Google that are more recent. I have found three different sets on-line of our place; the most recent is hosted by our county government.
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 02:07 PM
Hey TJ. Around here where my biz is (Atlanta), there are pilots that take photos of places of biz and then peddle them to the biz or building owner. It is my guess the same occurs around you. I would nose around the airport(s) where small aircraft are housed, and somebody may know who does it.

Also did you get a log splitter? If so what did you get? To me it sounded like a perfectly good reason (excuse)to get a tractor. ;\)
Posted By: jims place Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 02:09 PM
What Theo said, or look in the yellow pages under “flying clubs” and give them a call. Some Weekend pilots love a good mission and will do it for free.
Posted By: RobA Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 02:12 PM
Mapquest's aerial images are about 3 years ahead of Google's images for my place.

I paid a local aerial photography company $275 to take pictures for me. That was 2½ years ago. I gave him GPS points and a street address and he provided about 30 high resolution digital files. He even made sure to ask if there were any special areas of my property I wanted him to get. I wound up having the best shot printed out on 24"x36" paper for a "before" shot. I'll probably hire him again when the new house is built.

I checked online for aerial photo businesses near me. 1 or 2 others were around but this guy was reasonable and he gave me the files. Others charged for their service and provided a few pictures but they either charged extra for the digital files or would not provide them at all.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 03:30 PM
TJ, let me offer some insight from a pilot's perspective.

First, the others are right on that most pilots would likely be willing to take some shots for you if they were going to be flying in the area, especially those flying out of smaller airports who are just flying for fun.

Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) strictly limit the commercial use of an aircraft in for-profit operations such as aerial photography, so you may run into an issue if payment is involved if the pilot does have a commercial pilot certificate. My point is that some may say they won't/can't accept payment and, therefore, may not be willing. Others may be willing, so it's just hit and miss. While still a violation of the FARs, something as small as accepting a courtesy payment for taking a pic while already flying for one's own purposes is something that many pilots would likely not give a second thought to doing.

If you go with a professional outfit, expect to pay a fair amount. Most of them factor in the hourly operating cost of their plane which, depending on what they fly, can range as high as a few hundred dollars per hour. Unless they are distributing that cost amongst several clients, you may take the full brunt of their expenses in your single photo mission, so you would definitely want to be clear about that.

Another interesting possibility is to find out if any aerial mapping is being done in your area. Most of the planes that do that work are using higher end equipment that takes good high-res photos and since they are already producing that work for other clients, may be willing to give you shots of your place - assuming your place was covered on one of their runs - at a reduced rate. Examples of this type of operation are timber cruises, 911 mapping, riverbed erosion mapping, large scale land development projects, and the like. Don't know if any of that sort of stuff would be going on around your land, but it's a starting point.

Just a few thoughts to chew on. Good luck. If I lived closer, I'd be glad to do that for ya, but I don't make it to Nebraska all that often!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 07:26 PM
I got a pilot buddy here in town TJ. I'll ask him what he knows about this. He doesn't currently own a plane, but he rents them out every once in a while. Not sure if he's done aerial photography himself though.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 07:38 PM
Guys - thanks for your responses and suggestions. I have checked with all satellite images available and nothing has been recently updated, at least for my geography right outside of Lincoln.

Josh, you let me know if you have a connection...no hurry here - if I could work something into a guy's schedule it would be great. Imagine the pricing would be a little more agreeable that way too!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 07:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
TJ, let me offer some insight from a pilot's perspective.

First, the others are right on that most pilots would likely be willing to take some shots for you if they were going to be flying in the area, especially those flying out of smaller airports who are just flying for fun.

Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) strictly limit the commercial use of an aircraft in for-profit operations such as aerial photography, so you may run into an issue if payment is involved if the pilot does have a commercial pilot certificate. My point is that some may say they won't/can't accept payment and, therefore, may not be willing. Others may be willing, so it's just hit and miss. While still a violation of the FARs, something as small as accepting a courtesy payment for taking a pic while already flying for one's own purposes is something that many pilots would likely not give a second thought to doing.

If you go with a professional outfit, expect to pay a fair amount. Most of them factor in the hourly operating cost of their plane which, depending on what they fly, can range as high as a few hundred dollars per hour. Unless they are distributing that cost amongst several clients, you may take the full brunt of their expenses in your single photo mission, so you would definitely want to be clear about that.

Another interesting possibility is to find out if any aerial mapping is being done in your area. Most of the planes that do that work are using higher end equipment that takes good high-res photos and since they are already producing that work for other clients, may be willing to give you shots of your place - assuming your place was covered on one of their runs - at a reduced rate. Examples of this type of operation are timber cruises, 911 mapping, riverbed erosion mapping, large scale land development projects, and the like. Don't know if any of that sort of stuff would be going on around your land, but it's a starting point.

Just a few thoughts to chew on. Good luck. If I lived closer, I'd be glad to do that for ya, but I don't make it to Nebraska all that often!

Wow, thanks for the tips Todd! If you ever get lost or blown off course make sure to have your photography equipment handy - I'd be much obliged!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 07:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: FarmerRick
Hey TJ. Around here where my biz is (Atlanta), there are pilots that take photos of places of biz and then peddle them to the biz or building owner. It is my guess the same occurs around you. I would nose around the airport(s) where small aircraft are housed, and somebody may know who does it.

Also did you get a log splitter? If so what did you get? To me it sounded like a perfectly good reason (excuse)to get a tractor. ;\)

Thanks Rick. I already have a splitter, but it's awfully wimpy [4T Ryobi]. Wish I would have known what I know now before making that purchase. Could have saved the $$ and invested in a real splitter. Currently all I left with is a time consuming kindling maker. ....sigh....
Posted By: esshup Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 08:46 PM
TJ:

When the weather turns warmer in the Spring, and you want a hand with some seining, I cold be convinced very easily to take the drive. If you have some of those logs handy I'll show you how I split them on my 4.5t splitter.

FWIW, the latest satellite images that I can find of my place are May 2005.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 09:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Wow, thanks for the tips Todd! If you ever get lost or blown off course make sure to have your photography equipment handy - I'd be much obliged!!!

If it ever happens, rest assured my camera will be beside me! Good luck with tracking down a source for pics.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/16/09 10:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
TJ:

When the weather turns warmer in the Spring, and you want a hand with some seining, I cold be convinced very easily to take the drive. If you have some of those logs handy I'll show you how I split them on my 4.5t splitter.

FWIW, the latest satellite images that I can find of my place are May 2005.

E - let's talk when time allows. I could use some hints on how to get the most out of my Ryobi. I wonder if it could be weakening with age? Sure seems like I used to be able to perform more work on bigger logs. For now I'm getting pretty good with the maul thanks to everyone's guidance.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/17/09 12:22 AM
I could use some hints on how to get the most out of my Ryobi. I wonder if it could be weakening with age?

I've heard about problems like that. Fortunately, my fähnstücker seems to be holding up just fine.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/17/09 01:58 AM
Around here, closer to the corn in the collar counties of Chicago, powered parachutes are kinda popular. A couple of times a year, one of the regional chapters will host a fly-in and invite interested wanna-be's to attend. They offer low cost flights to share in the thrill and set the hook. Bring along the good camera and work a deal.
I did a quick google and could only come up with this Nebraska connection:
K.Y.T. Flying Club, Inc.
532 238th Street
Milford, NE 68405
Name: Tom Troyer or Sean Cramer
Phone: 402-761-2320
Email: tom.troyer@plantpioneer.com
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/17/09 02:01 AM
TJ, a great resource for finding airports is http://www.airnav.com. Check it out and you'll find every paved and grass strip near your location. then, it's just a matter of checking around.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/17/09 02:50 AM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
I could use some hints on how to get the most out of my Ryobi. I wonder if it could be weakening with age?

I've heard about problems like that. Fortunately, my fähnstücker seems to be holding up just fine.

If I had spoken German within the last 10 years I'd probably know enough to recommend Herr Gallus be moderated.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/17/09 02:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Around here, closer to the corn in the collar counties of Chicago, powered parachutes are kinda popular. A couple of times a year, one of the regional chapters will host a fly-in and invite interested wanna-be's to attend. They offer low cost flights to share in the thrill and set the hook. Bring along the good camera and work a deal.
I did a quick google and could only come up with this Nebraska connection:
K.Y.T. Flying Club, Inc.
532 238th Street
Milford, NE 68405
Name: Tom Troyer or Sean Cramer
Phone: 402-761-2320
Email: tom.troyer@plantpioneer.com

Yo BSKI - long time, but it's worth waiting for a nugget like this. Thanks - I'm going to see if I can't convince these guys to scramble the squadron before Spring.

BTW - Been reading about your project progressing....it's so many galaxies beyond my capabilities and vision and I feel unworthy even responding to your posts. Pathetic, really. But know I am impressed and am encouraging you telepathically. I wish you guys lived closer....
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/17/09 02:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
TJ, a great resource for finding airports is http://www.airnav.com. Check it out and you'll find every paved and grass strip near your location. then, it's just a matter of checking around.

Thanks Todd...man this forum is full of aerial photography experts. Unbelievable.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/17/09 03:03 AM
Thanks Todd...man this forum is full of aerial photography experts. Unbelievable.

No sweat. Yeah, I heard rumblings that there may be a forum name change in the works to reflect this other, more prominent focus!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 12:53 AM
TJ if your up to a fun hobby, try RC aircraft, they have miniature video-still cameras that can be attached and you can take all the video and stills you want.
I'm putting floats and a camera on my super tiger 60 next year and try to get some photo's.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Airplane-Helicopt...=item4cec07e3f8
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 01:12 AM
That's pretty cool adiron. Might have to look into that a little further.

TJ, I asked my buddy and he didn't have a whole lot of information for me. Guess he doesn't fly very often anymore. He did give me a name of a reputable company in Lincoln though. Prange Aerial Photography. I checked them out online and they look impressive, though potentially expensive as well.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 02:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
TJ if your up to a fun hobby, try RC aircraft, they have miniature video-still cameras that can be attached and you can take all the video and stills you want.
I'm putting floats and a camera on my super tiger 60 next year and try to get some photo's.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Airplane-Helicopt...=item4cec07e3f8

Wow...now that is a specialized piece of equipment. Something tells me on my maiden voyage it might find the drink...talk about pressure!

I realize it's not very pondy, but can you tell us about your airplane? I think those look incredibly fun, but also like it requires a lot of practice - like an art form, really - to fly one.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 02:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
That's pretty cool adiron. Might have to look into that a little further.

TJ, I asked my buddy and he didn't have a whole lot of information for me. Guess he doesn't fly very often anymore. He did give me a name of a reputable company in Lincoln though. Prange Aerial Photography. I checked them out online and they look impressive, though potentially expensive as well.

Josh - as luck would have it, Doug and I are old work friends and he quoted me $295 for a dozen or so pics on CD. Have no clue how that stacks up to other experiences here...I still haven't heard from any of my other quote requests.

I am only 5 miles south of the Lincoln Municipal airport and routinely see planes overhead. You'd think I could get someone to grab a camera and snap me a few pics...but maybe just digging into my pocket and paying for it once would be worth it. Still unsure.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 11:09 AM
TJ, how about going to the Airport, asking around, and bumming a ride for you and your camera.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 01:40 PM
Yeah, stand at the end of the runway and stick your thumb out there.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 02:21 PM
Just because this thread is running, I want to recall an old pal of mine that used to do some really nice aerial photography. His name is Bill.
Bill's dad owned a couple of smaller airports in the south Chicago suburbs. Bill was an excellent pilot and taught flight school. As a hustler, he also specialized in aerial photography. He always used the same method. He explained it to me a couple of times, and I don't recall the specific details, but the basic gist was simple. He would go up in a small aircraft, usually with Jack (another mutual pal and pilot). Jack would control the plane while Bill would open the door and step out onto the wing with his SLR and take photos of the subject. Crazy.
Bill was pretty nutty. Heck, we were drinkin' pals for many years. He would take me up for a flight now and then to goof off. He always let me play Superman. We would go up in a 6 seater Cherokee and I would lay down in the middle of the fuselage, face down, with my arms outstretched while he put the plane into a dive. I always hurt my back on the dome light on the ceiling.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 04:30 PM
Hmmm, I always had you pegged for more of a Batman type of guy.
Posted By: esshup Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 05:03 PM
Brettski:

Is that pilot friend of yours named Bill still around?
Posted By: TOM G Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 06:01 PM
TJ,why dont you just bribe JHAP with some rum&coke to take you up in the Deathstar?Shesh,sometimes you guys never think of the obvious.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 11:51 PM
Tom is a welcome voice of reason...JHAP, beam me up bro!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/18/09 11:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
TJ, how about going to the Airport, asking around, and bumming a ride for you and your camera.

Not a bad idea...thanks Dave!

Are you getting any rain? Are your ponds full?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:26 AM
Hey, what about the strip maps at your NRCS office? Have you tried contacting them? That's where I got my best aerial shots. They take the pics each year in the spring and they are usually available by the beginning of the following year. I call my NRCS office and ask them to print them off on their best color printer (they claim that they are unable to forward a digital copy) and they snayl mayl it to me.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 11:03 AM
TJ, the booming rains stopped. Actually, they weren't pond filling rains but slow ones that were immediately captured by some pretty dry ground. They were what I call farmer rains without run off.
Posted By: lassig Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 02:18 PM
You can get electronic versions of the NRCS maps by going to http://gis.apfo.usda.gov/naipcoverage/ and hiting the print button on the page once you have the map image you want displayed on the page. Once the print image comes up right click on it and click on save image as. The data for NE is from 07 with 09 data available in the spring of 2010. You want want to hold off and wait for the 09 data to be available. CHeck this out and see if it meets your needs.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: lassig
You can get electronic versions of the NRCS maps by going to http://gis.apfo.usda.gov/naipcoverage/ and hiting the print button on the page once you have the map image you want displayed on the page. Once the print image comes up right click on it and click on save image as. The data for NE is from 07 with 09 data available in the spring of 2010. You want want to hold off and wait for the 09 data to be available. CHeck this out and see if it meets your needs.

Is there an easier way to search on that lassig. Looks like a cool resource if I can figure out how to narrow it down.
Posted By: lassig Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:28 PM
Towards the upper left of the screen there are multiple find buttons. Use this to find the place you want. AFter entering the place you want to find, right click on it and click on zoom to. This will get you to the location faster
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:31 PM
Towards the upper left of the screen there are multiple find buttons. Use this to find the place you want. AFter entering the place you want to find, right click on it and click on zoom to. This will get you to the location faster

I did that and I found the nearest town, I think, to my pond, but I can't seem to make things out to travel to what I want to find. I'll keep messing with it.
Posted By: lassig Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:33 PM
Try the find PLSS and enter your township and range that should put you right on it.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:38 PM
Try the find PLSS and enter your township and range that should put you right on it.

I think I'm spoiled by Google...
Posted By: lassig Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:47 PM
Unforunately Google only has the 05 map for my place, while this shows the 07 map. Once the 09 is posted I will have access to that right away also.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:48 PM
I found it. But it's super fuzzy. Any way to clear it up? And when were these taken, because this doesn't show that we've begun work yet?

Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 03:48 PM
Unforunately Google only has the 05 map for my place, while this shows the 07 map. Once the 09 is posted I will have access to that right away also.

Whoop, you posted right before I did and you answered my question.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 04:12 PM
Good news: I followed Lassig's directions and actually found my place.

Bad news: Photos look about the age of all the other satellite images available for my place...few years old. This one was at least a Summer image so everything was green and lush...

Any clues when updated info would be available?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 04:14 PM

Bad news: Photos look about the age of all the other satellite images available for my place...few years old. This one was at least a Summer image so everything was green and lush...

Were your images clear? Mine were really fuzzy, but maybe I just need to zoom out a time or two.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 04:17 PM
affirmative - fuzzy
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 04:28 PM
TJ, I got a call in to a guy here in Omaha that does aerial photography and free estimates. I'll see if I can get an estimate or a ballpark for you if/when he gets back to me.
Posted By: esshup Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 04:34 PM
I just checked the naipcoverage page for my place and the google maps view is more recent.....
Posted By: lassig Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 05:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
I found it. But it's super fuzzy. Any way to clear it up? And when were these taken, because this doesn't show that we've begun work yet?

Most likely will have to zoom out since the resolution of the image cannot support that level of zoom. Mine is a little fuzzy also but not bad.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 05:04 PM
I just checked the naipcoverage page for my place and the google maps view is more recent.....

Something tells me NE might be a little lower on the list of satellite priorites...
Posted By: lassig Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 05:09 PM

Nebraska was mapped this year so sometime next year, that mapping should be available. This shows the status of 09 mapping as of 11/10.

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/2009_naipstatusmap_8-13.pdf

Here is the home page to all of this information

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/apfoapp?area=home&subject=landing&topic=landing

Lots of good info here, I just from this this morning and poking around it have learned alot.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 05:36 PM

I don't think this link provides the most current info. I zoomed in on our property and the aerial is more than 3-4 years old. The strip maps I requested from NRCS this past winter are from 2008.
Posted By: lassig Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 07:23 PM
Brettski,

Is there another name for the strip maps? Not finding anything referenced on the NRCS site with that name. Looking for them is how I turned up this other information. Just like in essup case I am not understanding why you are seeing 3-4 year old information. The NAIP maps where updated in 2007 and made available in 2008. The map shown for my place is 2007, since it shows work that I did in the spring of 07. This is a puzzle that I guess I have to dig deeper into tonight. One of those things that I would like to understand better.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/19/09 07:47 PM
My dirt guy called it a strip map (he worked in the NRCS office some years prior). When I called the NRCS office, they knew what I was looking for.
My guess is that the website does not receive the same attention as the actual NRCS offices.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/20/09 03:05 AM
Followed up the the NRCS - they told me I'd have to contact the USDA next door. Said they'd be happy to provide me with a recent aerial of the place, but to make sure to bring my deed to prove I owned it[?]. Whatever, so I did.

Well, I saw a pic of my place about June 09 - better than nothing, but they wouldn't copy it to CD or do anything but print on a sheet of paper. Unbelievable. So, guess I'll be waiting for Google to update or pay arrange something else.

Main pond was about 2/3 full in the pic - she's full now.

You can barely discern my .2 acre Magnolia Crappie pond hidden in the Cedars and Cottonwoods.

Top two ponds were dry, obviously, but are serving as my SMB and RES/BG repro ponds. All are now full.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/20/09 04:00 AM

Something tells me NE might be a little lower on the list of satellite priorites...

He just needs to be creative. Maybe paint a sign on the ground that says Terrorist Training Camp.

Guys I get approached every couple of years to purchase aerial photos of my property. I turned down the last one and I'm glad I did. An actual pilot vs. a sales person showed up with a picture that was not totally vertical that looked much better than the last one. Without the frame it's $89.00 and he will be back with the full size photo soon. I'd be happy to post it here as it looks really cool! Cash only but he'll give me notice before he comes so I'll have the right amount on hand.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/20/09 02:11 PM
BTW, if a door-to-door aerial photograph salesman ever shows up, remember their speculative picture of your property is worthless if you don't buy it. There is a lot of room for negotiation. We got a nice pic of our place for $65 this way that was "water damaged" and "had to be written off". \:\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 11/20/09 08:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
BTW, if a door-to-door aerial photograph salesman ever shows up, remember their speculative picture of your property is worthless if you don't buy it. There is a lot of room for negotiation. We got a nice pic of our place for $65 this way that was "water damaged" and "had to be written off". \:\)

Very true and I did negotiate. Another way to save money is to ask how much it is without the frame. The frames are really marked up and I can do that myself.
Posted By: ken Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 02:56 AM
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=...20619&encType=1

Try this one out. Hold left click you can move the page around. Mine is the one with the dock , barn and white house. You can see most of the USA. They get touchy at the nuke plants. You can zoom in too. Some areas my not have the birds eye view. Just put your address in and see if you get the birds eye view. Change the compass for a diiferent time the pic was taken.
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 12:11 PM
We've had several of these aerial photographs done over the years.
There is a commercial business that comes every four years and we have bought from that setup twice....very pricey but you do know beforehand when they will be in the area. (Their pictures are protected and you're not supposed to copy etc. etc.) They are hard-sell and not too negotiable. However, there are the ones that come without warning peddling aerial photos and those you can negotiate with as they are 'stuck' with the photos, unfortunlately, this guy came less than a month after the first-class company came by so he left with nothing as quite honestly other than tlaler corn and beans there wasnt much difference.
I also had a pilot that does aerails for our company that I was in the line of flight and had him take aerial photos ($125) and they were just as good as the commercial ones. And those I can copy/crop etc all I want. Resolutions are not as good but still very much quality photos.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 08:33 PM
I thought I had posted the aerial photo I got (I actually got two of them) but I don't see it in this thread. Must have posted it in another thread. I promised one in this thread so here goes. I gave one to my parents that are in Florida for the winter and they loved it.

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 09:27 PM
I hope to get aerial photo's of the pond this summer when I finish building my Catalina flying boat. Not sure which remote camera to get, there are quite a few on the market.

Posted By: esshup Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 09:52 PM
AP:

That looks like a really neat toy to play with! I'll bet you will get many hours of fun time with it.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 10:49 PM
Just something else to do with your pond.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 10:57 PM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I hope to get aerial photo's of the pond this summer when I finish building my Catalina flying boat. Not sure which remote camera to get, there are quite a few on the market.

Are you going to strap the lighter cat on board.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 11:35 PM
You mean that Jaguar from Texas?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/28/10 11:48 PM
I have a remote control fan boat that is fun to ride around on the pond. That plane looks like a ball! My dad used to really be into remote control planes.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/29/10 12:24 AM
Yeah, you can dump alot of money into RC, I've been doing it for 12 years but I keep it reasonable, only 1 plane destroyed so far.
We have one guy in the club who crashes 6 or 7 a year, but he is a fantastic plane re-builder. ;\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 03/29/10 01:05 AM
Be sure not to invade the GSF Deathstars area.
Posted By: Zep Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 07/30/10 03:28 PM
Sometimes Bing is more current on aerial photography than Google and sometimes not.

See Map and look at top left, click on "Aerial"

Bing Maps
Posted By: Texas Fountain Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 10/23/10 06:11 PM
Aqua Control offers aerial mapping. This is used for fountain and aerator projects, but this tool can be used for just about anything.
http://www.aquacontrol.com/contact/aerial_mapping/
Posted By: Maria Angel Re: Aerial Photography ?'s - 08/13/11 06:37 AM
We might be able to take care of you because we have a plane. Let me know if you want to update your photos.
© Pond Boss Forum