Pond Boss
Posted By: Bobbss Salt to melt ice? - 02/14/22 04:57 PM
Would it hurt to use a little water softener salt in a few areas to speed along ice out? Do you think it would help to speed along ice out? Ponds been frozen over for a while and what worries me a little more than normal is I haven't had any rain to speak of in a long time so pond is extra low and the ice has snow mixed in so it is not very clear at all.
Posted By: esshup Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/14/22 05:27 PM
I would use the Solar Salt and not have a 2nd thought about it.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/14/22 07:30 PM
The salt might go right through the ice without making a significant impact. (I don't know.)

An old black tarp with one corner tied to the bank might also make a big dent.
Posted By: azteca Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/14/22 08:06 PM
Hello.

With the Coarse salt, you can do this (without iodine ).

You can throw the cubes to the right place.

https://ibb.co/nBN6Vb5
https://ibb.co/h7PBfcM
https://ibb.co/d0nH0bk
A+
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/15/22 08:01 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I'll give it a try. I'm worried that if I tried using a tarp that it would get snagged on things in the pond.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/22/22 01:15 AM
I did through out 2 bags of salt a few days ago and the area that got most of the salt was completely melted yesterday and the area that just got a little was trying to. I do think it helped.
Posted By: Flame Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/22/22 02:35 PM
Just trying to learn here. But...won't the salt harm the fish? I'm a southern guy and it doesn't freeze here.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/22/22 02:56 PM
Salt is actually good for fish, in some moderation.

I add a few small boxes of Kosher salt to my 1/4 acre neighborhood pond a few times a year.

This same pond also catches run off from the streets which are salted all winter long, and it doesn't seem to affect the fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/22/22 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Flame
Just trying to learn here. But...won't the salt harm the fish? I'm a southern guy and it doesn't freeze here.

Salt without the iodine won't hurt the fish if in moderation. Moderation means less than 50# of non-iodized salt per 2,280 gallons of water.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/22/22 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sunil
I add a few small boxes of Kosher salt to my 1/4 acre neighborhood pond a few times a year.

Do fish grow faster under Jewish dietary guidelines? grin

(I do know that Kosher salt is non-iodized.)

You say it is beneficial to add a little salt to this pond. What are the benefits to the fish and/or pond water due to your salt additions?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/23/22 04:20 AM
More efficient gill function, kidney function, etc. It stabilizes the internal organs by allowing very consistent respiration which lowers stress. It also allows faster healing of surface wounds.
I will also add that I don't think messing with mother natures insulator is a good deal if you would happen to have more super cold weather ahead.
Posted By: esshup Re: Salt to melt ice? - 02/24/22 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by Sunil

Do fish grow faster under Jewish dietary guidelines? grin

(I do know that Kosher salt is non-iodized.)

You say it is beneficial to add a little salt to this pond. What are the benefits to the fish and/or pond water due to your salt additions?

Just as an exercise, if you had a 1/2 acre pond, 10' max depth, you are talking about adding a max of 17,864 pounds of salt. A "little" won't do much at all. 7 tons would be the least that I'd think would make a difference (40#/2,280 gallons)
© Pond Boss Forum