Pond Boss
Posted By: PHOEBE Swirly green layer on pond? - 06/02/20 07:50 PM
Can anyone help with this?
Have a pond in northeast Wisc. . Last year and now this year there is a green layer of something just barley under the surface of the water. Any waved seem to go right over top of the green stuff, if It rains it will completly disapear and come back in a day or two. I don't know if it could be pollen or something else. It's not a mat like some algae is. it alomost seems like powedery but its just under the surface like barely under the surface. Any ideas what it is or how to get rid of it?

Attached picture pond green.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Swirly green layer on pond? - 06/02/20 08:18 PM
This comes up most every summer with forum member's ponds, including my pond. It is often very difficult to diagnose over the web, but the following guide should help you narrow it down to a couple options...

https://www.townofchapelhill.org/home/showdocument?id=28866

My gueses are...

Euglena and other flagellated algae (page 10),
Diatom Blooms (page 11),
Protozoan Scums (page 15).

Pay attention to the cyanobacteria pages and make sure it's not any of those...they can be pretty nasty.
Posted By: jim100 Re: Swirly green layer on pond? - 06/03/20 11:36 AM
water meal ? Wolfia? type stuff maybe.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Swirly green layer on pond? - 06/03/20 12:50 PM
The pine trees in the background are a clue.
Walk up to one and shake a branch, green powder that gently falls to the ground? That happens from the wind too.
Posted By: PHOEBE Re: Swirly green layer on pond? - 06/03/20 03:07 PM
Thank you . I am leaning towards the pollen from the Pines.. Other than cutting down the pines i am not sure there's much i can do to get rid of the stuff?
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Swirly green layer on pond? - 06/03/20 04:04 PM
It's pollen season, won't last forever.
If you were in the path of those storms last night, not much pollen will be blowing out this week!
It's nature, embrace it smile
Posted By: Flame Re: Swirly green layer on pond? - 06/04/20 12:34 PM
I live in deep east Texas where there is nothing but pine forest. EVERYTHING gets covered in greenish yellow pine pollen at times. Look around on other items NOT in your water and see if you see concentrations of the yellow stuff. Car windshield,items sitting out by your pond, etc. etc. That should help determine if it is pine pollen. Just a thought to help you narrow it down.
© Pond Boss Forum