Pond Boss
I didn't pump any clear water from the creek this year into my first pond. I got tired of it, running the pipe, and pulling it back, and we had some decent rainfall at times. I think it was the creek water causing the FA to flourish. Also, the creek water seems to contain some type of natural flocculant, which made the pond clear, and that accelerated the FA production. This year the pond is sort of murky, with visibility about 10-12 inches most of the time.

I've never pumped much creek water to the newer pond. The times I did, it cleared some, and FA got started a bit, then the pond muddied again, and the FA mostly went away. This year that pond has zero FA.
My FA experience was a bit different this year also. I can say that clarity of 12", or so, really puts the damper on it. I never had much of it to begin with, but this year...absolutely no floating mats and only some growth on things at the surface. What FA was around was only prevalent early in the year and it's now practically nonexistent. I am making headway on clearing the water up some, so next year may be different yet.
I had rather have muddy water than floating mats of FA all over.
Myself I have never seen the bottom of my pond since the 1st drop of water hit it. So I would take a mat over what looks like just muddy water. Mayb after I treat this mess I might change my mind who knows. Everyone talks bout seeing all there fry. I can barely seen the whiskers when my cats come up for feeding time.
FA...Muddy Water...Pick your poison! When I get to that in-between point of not enough of either to make me crazy...I will be at one with the pond. Lol
© Pond Boss Forum