Pond Boss
Posted By: Birddogger Can someone tell me what this stuff is? - 05/03/07 05:09 PM
I haven't posted in a long while but I'm a constant lurker. My pond will be in one year in May. It's almost 2 acres in south Alabama Pretty heavy clay content. It's stocked with CNBG, RES, and CC with bass going in this week. I fertilized with Perfect Pond about 2 weeks ago. Over the last week I've noticed a heavier brown tint to the water. It's always had some suspended clay. This morning the wind has driven the brown stuff to one side. Trying to attach pics. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it if possible. Could it be plankton?

Thanks in advance. George
Posted By: ewest Re: Can someone tell me what this stuff is? - 05/03/07 05:41 PM
It looks like planktonic algae (base of the food chain) that the wind has piled up. May be some FA in one of the clumps.
Ewest
Thanks. Could this be from over fertilizing the pond? Should I be doing anything to get rid of it or just let it dissipate?
I think it COULD be from over fertilizing or maybe from fertilizing when it wasn't needed. The brown COULD be dead phyto and/or zoo plankton. Did it appear to be a nice green, then a darker green and then brown?

What was the visibility like before you fertilized?

Some of it looks like FA but FA needs nutrients like dead stuff provides. How was the FA before this happened?
Dave
The visibility was about 12 inches. The FA was about the same. I was told that the fertilizing would help with the suspended clay. Looks like that was the wrong thing to do. Live and learn.
Posted By: ewest Re: Can someone tell me what this stuff is? - 05/04/07 01:43 AM
Give it time and it may help with clay turbidity. What is the visibility now ? The brown could be zooplankton. I would not try to get rid of it yet as it will dissipate as the fertilizer is used up. You want 18 inches of visibility by June. That thick of a plankton bloom can lead to DO problems when the water gets warm in mid to late summer.
© Pond Boss Forum