Pond Boss
Posted By: mitchell smith Fish Kill - 10/19/03 11:51 PM
I have a 1/2 acre pond near the coast of North Carolina. For the last two weeks I have been loosing one to five Bluegill almost daily. These fish are adult and have fairly large sores on them. They look fat and ok except for the sores. I caught one with a dip net before he died,so they are not active. Also I see no bluegill when feeding. I have not found any dead or sick channel cats,largemouths,hybrid strippers or redear only bluegill. About a month ago water entered the pond from an adjacant swamp during hurricane Isabel. I think I have have a major algea bloom. There was a brown bubbley film for a while. I aerat at night with a oiless compressor. Since I started see dead fish I also have been running a small fountain. Fish are still dying. I tested the water with hobby test strips. The ph is always a little low, I added lime. Nitrites and Nitrates are within range. DO may have been low for a period while I was away, but is ok now and fish are still dying. I froze a fish today but don't know of a lab to test him. I would appreciate any advice
Posted By: andrew davis Re: Fish Kill - 11/13/03 06:41 PM
You might explore a few of the contacts listed at the url below, they may be able to direct you to water quality resources.... it sounds like you need analysis of some samples

http://h2o.enr.state.nc.us/ncwetlands/region.html

Regards, andy
© Pond Boss Forum