Pond Boss
Posted By: KCKyle can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 11:52 AM
I searched around quite a bit but could not finding any info on how to test water for safe swimming. I may just not understand the search function. I have zero experience with pond management but have a property under contract. My kids are going to want to swim and I just want to be sure the water is safe. We had a story in the news a while back about a child that died from brain eating amoeba.

I would love some advice on water testing options.

Thanks
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 11:58 AM
I'm not qualified to give advice on something like that. However, there are places to have water tested for safety and/or purity.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 01:50 PM
The Naegleria fowleri amoeba can be as far north as you are - there is a lake in Minnesota that had it back in 2010 - so yes it's possible.

Nose clips are the best preventative other than staying out of the water, on the very off chance your BOW has the amoeba.

See this article for more info:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...rasite/3633531/
Posted By: BrianL Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 03:01 PM
I have swam in lakes and ponds my whole life, and never worried about or had an issue. The risk of drowning are 1000s x higher than death by amoeba, but everyone must determine their own risk. JMO
Posted By: RC51 Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 03:36 PM
Yeah man growing up we didn't have no swimming pool. It was any and all lakes that had a dock!!! LOL.... I wouldn't want to get into a hot stale no water moving pond in the summer but some folks do.

This has "It All Depends" written all over it!! smile

RC
Posted By: Zep Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 03:39 PM
Brian....I guess the risk of this is super low too...but after it appeared in the Wills Point newspaper a couple of weeks ago..it made me think...lol

http://www.vanzandtnews.com/articles/2016/07/09/alligators-live-here-too
Posted By: RC51 Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 03:46 PM
Well like the article says it's rare but when it happens to your child it becomes your world... Ugghh poor parents... so KC get your water tested if it's clean cool!! Go buy a few nose plugs for the kids and tell them if they swim they HAVE to have this on no exceptions tell them it's just a precaution to keep you all safe.

RC
Posted By: KCKyle Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 03:50 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. That brain eater is scary but agree its one of those you just have to not worry about due to the risk being so low. Like Brian said there is a much higher risk of drowning.

is the consensus then that I don't need to worry about the water quality in general? I was thinking I would want to check for bacteria as well or any other contaminants. There is the potential for Blue/green algae around here which I think can be very harmful.

Is it one of those things were it will be obvious if it were unhealthy to swim in? A bad smell or visual sign of concern.

Thanks again. I can tell I'm going to be spending a lot of time reading this forum to learn about how to manage my new pond. What a great resource!
Posted By: Instar Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 04:36 PM
Your local county medical agency has the means to test the water for aquatic pathogens. Have it tested!!!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 04:58 PM
KCKyle, I too would be concerned about the BG Algae, especially as kids tend to ingest more lake/pond water than adults.

When there's warnings to stay out of the water and to keep your pets out due to BG Algae warnings at Milford Lake, KS which is over 15,000 acres of water, that's enough for me to not even consider getting in my 2 acre pond showing signs of the same.

http://www.kdheks.gov/algae-illness/index.htm
Posted By: BrianL Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Brian....I guess the risk of this is super low too...but after it appeared in the Wills Point newspaper a couple of weeks ago..it made me think...lol

http://www.vanzandtnews.com/articles/2016/07/09/alligators-live-here-too

Yep, there are people that swim in lakes full of gators, but that exceeds my risk level. Everyone has their own level of risk and fears. I'm not swimming with sharks or gators. If a gator found its way to my pond,...........taste like chicken grin!
Posted By: highflyer Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 08:14 PM
KC,
One other thought, just because you test today does not mean you are clear tomorrow, or the next day, ect. The simple thing is to use the right precautions and enjoy life. It is worth living. Besides, in the end, no one gets out alive.

I do test and actively maintain our ponds, and I would not hesitate to swim in any of them.
Posted By: BrianL Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 08:35 PM
I agree Highflyer. The water will tell you a lot. If it has blue green algae on the surface, I won't swim. Test, treat, and take care of your water and enjoy.
Posted By: KCKyle Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 08:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try to learn as much as possible about pond management in general and use good judgement day to day.
Thanks for the link Lovnlivin
Posted By: Flame Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/20/16 09:53 PM
Is blue green algea the same as FA?? What are the differences? My pond is a pretty emerald color with 30 inch visibility and my grandson swims in it. Should he stop?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/21/16 12:18 AM
James
I have a case of blue green algae going on right now , and not sure what to do about it. That stuff stinks, DD1 said it will smell musty- and it do..... Not the same as FA

Anyone know what to do with or about it?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/21/16 12:51 AM
Agree, not the same as FA.

Ask Cody for the recipe. I've never had it. I have heard that stratification can cause it and aeration is a key in controlling it.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/21/16 01:39 AM
Well, I love swimming in my pond. It's a great way to cool off on a hot day.
I've always got a bit of algae growing. We didn't get much rain from Jan to May, so no new water coming in. Had a foot or so of runoff lately.
I hope I don't get sick, but I do have four grandkids that like swimming also.
I'm not going to test it every time we swim, and nose plugs are a pain in the backside.
Guess I'm rolling the dice, but I better make my kids aware of the risks, and maybe the grandkids need to stay out of the water.
This isn't making me too happy..
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: can I safely swim in my pond? - 07/21/16 09:24 PM
Got up to the pond today. I have another 12" of water up from last week. We had a 2.5" rain that came down very fast. Most of my drainage comes from 10 acres of alfalfa. Not sure what the renter has sprayed on it. He used dry fertilizer earlier this spring. Anyway, had a lot of runoff.
95 degrees all week, and no water actually leaving the pond, as I'm still 2' from the drain pipe.
Have some pretty colorful algae growing. I decided not to swim after reading this thread.
© Pond Boss Forum