Pond Boss
Posted By: Timnic Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 01:56 PM
I have 6 small ponds ranging from 3 acres to 1/2 acre. I need to lime them and had seen a video of a truck on PB. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get one in southern MS. I'm located in wiggins, MS.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 02:13 PM
Timnic, most any coop or crop seed store should have one, or at least know who does. You may ask your local USDA service office also.
Posted By: Timnic Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 02:14 PM
Thanks I'll try that.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 02:28 PM
My pond is north of Poplarville. I use Circle T Fertilizer(phone (601) 795-2506) but I'm not sure you can "rent" the truck. You can have lime delivered and spread or about $60/ton with a 4 or 5 ton minimum. I've had them back up to my pond in several areas to distribute the lime into the pond. Someone recently told me they will not back up to ponds any longer cause they get stuck but that is not my personal experience.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 04:50 PM
$60/ton?? OUCH! I guess availability plays a big role there. I paid only $10/ton with a 10 ton minimum.

You may be able to rent a towable Ag Lime spreader/hopper, but I doubt many want to let just anyone behind the wheel of a $200K spreader truck
Posted By: Timnic Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info. My lake is Silver Run Lake between Poplarville and wiggins.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 05:25 PM
I forgot to mention that our $10/ton ag lime price, includes spreading.
Posted By: ewest Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/19/16 06:05 PM
$ 50 a ton delivered and spread is about average around here.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/22/16 01:54 PM
The previous time I had gotten lime delivered and spread it was about 4 years ago and only $30/ton. Not sure why the steep price climb???
Posted By: ewest Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 02/22/16 05:04 PM
What the market will allow.
Posted By: BLUE72CAMARO Re: Lime truck in Mississippi - 04/27/16 02:22 PM
I would imagine the time of year will effect this as well. If your trying to get it done in the fall or spring when farmers are having all there fields limed I would imagine the price is higher because they are busy and probably cheaper in the summer when not a lot goes on in ground prep.

Also your area probably has a lot to do with it as well depending on soil types. There is a LOT of clay in my area so it is very common to lime fields here.
© Pond Boss Forum