Pond Boss
Posted By: Dgeorge Stained water after spraying algae - 06/27/23 12:36 AM
Hello guys, new to the forum(s). I really enjoy reading you questions, ideas and thoughts. I recently used a gallon of Cutrine Plus algecide liquid in two applications to kill filimentous algae on a 1.6 acre pond. The pond water was very clear and now has a brown stained look. Any ideas why and if this is problematic?
Posted By: DrLuke Re: Stained water after spraying algae - 06/27/23 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Dgeorge
Hello guys, new to the forum(s). I really enjoy reading you questions, ideas and thoughts. I recently used a gallon of Cutrine Plus algecide liquid in two applications to kill filimentous algae on a 1.6 acre pond. The pond water was very clear and now has a brown stained look. Any ideas why and if this is problematic?

My two cents is the chelated copper is killing the planktonic algae species suspended in the water column. Basically any susceptible algae species will be killed by copper. Most of the pro's recommend you only treat your pond in sections, to allow the treated sections to recover (i.e. let the dead algae sink and decompose, which sucks oxygen out of the water). Then go back and hit another section. We have to spray 2 times a month or so during the summer to keep our nuisance plants under some degree of control (mostly FA and duckweed for us).
© Pond Boss Forum