Pond Boss
Posted By: JakehasAmmo Leeches? - 08/10/22 11:32 AM
I purchased a pond a little over three years ago. I've been trying to keep up with it since by adding muck reducers, keeping algae in control, and spraying weeds. The bottom of my pond has been a little mucky and a couple times when I was using a "Muck Razor" a noticed some leech looking things on my feet. I've made leech traps I saw people try online with raw meat but I didn't catch a single one. Can anybody confirm if they are leeches or what they might be and especially how to get rid of them??

Attached picture 1.JPG
Attached picture 2.JPG
Attached picture 3.JPG
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Leeches? - 08/11/22 02:33 PM
Good news, they are not leeches.
They are very small but have the head parts of a snail. I suspect YP or panfish that have specially designed 'shell crackers' in their throat (RES and Pumpkinseed) would be very adept at eating the small snails and controlling the population. Even if they are attached to your skin they are harmless.
Posted By: JakehasAmmo Re: Leeches? - 08/11/22 06:50 PM
Thank you so much for the reply! I've been having a hard time trying to figure out what they are and now I'm pretty relieved to know that they are not leeches. I will have to look into your advice for controlling them. Thanks again!!
Posted By: Augie Re: Leeches? - 08/11/22 08:00 PM
Pics are a bit small to tell for sure. Punch "planarian" into the google machine and see what you come up with.
Posted By: JakehasAmmo Re: Leeches? - 08/12/22 10:44 AM
Thanks Augie! A flatworm type might fit the bill too after googling it. Thanks for the reply. The pictures above are from a short video I took which I uploaded here:
(Don't mind the shaky camera)

https://vimeo.com/738917331
© Pond Boss Forum