Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame Larger cnbg dying - 08/20/20 09:49 PM
First time I have ever had ANY type of a fish kill and this is not major at least for now. For the last 3 weeks and yes I know it has been extremely HOT and no rain. My 2 acre pond is down near 4 ft low!! Aeriation still runs 24 hours a day but I have found about 2 a week dead 8-9 inch cnbg floating on the bank. I see NO signs of trauma. As a matter of fact they looked quite healthy. I still feed every morning and evening. Feeding seems slow but...I have very muddy water and visibility is like 3-4 inch!! I am near my record low but never had any fish die before. There are lots of small cnbg everywhere and even though they are feeding slow you can tell there are still HUNDREDS of them feeding. Ya'll think it is just the heat and low water?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Larger cnbg dying - 08/20/20 11:57 PM
How old are they James? As hard as you pushed them in the beginning (feeding) you think they burned the candle at both ends..... just a thought
Posted By: Flame Re: Larger cnbg dying - 08/21/20 12:34 AM
They are about 4 1/2 years old Pat. I guess they could be burning out. At least I know I have plenty more to take their place! We have a hurricane coming. Maybe I'll get some rain!!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Larger cnbg dying - 08/21/20 01:18 AM
We do ? Guess better watch the weather
Posted By: anthropic Re: Larger cnbg dying - 08/21/20 02:21 AM
You know, I wonder if aeration accelerates evaporation to the point where it can lower pond levels even faster than normal during hot, dry weather.
Posted By: esshup Re: Larger cnbg dying - 08/21/20 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by anthropic
You know, I wonder if aeration accelerates evaporation to the point where it can lower pond levels even faster than normal during hot, dry weather.

I have not noticed a difference in the amount my pond drops with the aeration system on or off. BUT, in a water table based pond, the water level is influenced by a LOT of things.
© Pond Boss Forum