Pond Boss
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Need Alum - 04/25/20 05:39 PM
I have been stumped locally in finding alum in other than the little 4 pound gardening bags. Does anyone know where I can find 50 pounds or so? I need to clear my very very muddy sediment pond. When it runs over, it muddies the pond below it. It's only about 20,000 gallons, or .062 acre feet. I don't want to kill the healthy minnow population in it. I will mix the alum with quicklime, which I can get.

I don't want to have to buy it in the tiny bags at an unreasonable price.
Posted By: Redonthehead Re: Need Alum - 04/26/20 01:06 AM
Surely you dont need 50lbs?

Here's 50 lbs delivered for $90
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Sulfate-Al2-SO4-3-Minimum-99-pure-50LB-BAG/272649662458?hash=item3f7b2faffa:g:bZcAAOSwL7pa-gej

Here's 20 lbs delivered for $48
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Sulfate-99-PURE-MIN-20-pounds-2-x-10lb-Bags/282587554651?hash=item41cb87e35b:g:jZYAAOSwveNePIdL

Or is it worth your time to drive to Springfield MO?

by quicklime I assume you mean hydrated lime?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Need Alum - 04/27/20 01:45 PM
I found a local mom and pop feed and garden store that can get me a 50 pound bag of powdered alum for $20. Getting it later this week. I'll mix 10 pounds of hydrated lime with 20 pounds of alum and try that first. Does that sound like a correct ratio?
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Need Alum - 04/27/20 10:54 PM
I also have been having a hard time finding Alum locally, so thank you for the EBay links. I ordered a bag immediately.

I think I'll be able to source the Calcium hydroxide locally at hardware stores.

/c
Posted By: Redonthehead Re: Need Alum - 04/28/20 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald
I found a local mom and pop feed and garden store that can get me a 50 pound bag of powdered alum for $20. Getting it later this week. I'll mix 10 pounds of hydrated lime with 20 pounds of alum and try that first. Does that sound like a correct ratio?

That's a great price. I might consider driving the 2 hours.

I have seen several remarks that you don't want to mix the lime and alum in the same batch - it can turn to a thick sludge. Spray your alum then follow up with the hydrated lime.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Need Alum - 04/29/20 12:14 AM
I need more guidance on that...wouldn't the alum shock the fish too much, changing the pH rapidly, before I could apply the quicklime?
Posted By: Redonthehead Re: Need Alum - 04/29/20 01:11 AM
It will depend on your water - IIRC the higher the alkalinity the better it will buffer the pH drop. re-do your bucket test and monitor the pH change for an idea of how it effects your water. I plan to monitor pH and switch to lime when it drops 1.0 point, then back to alum

PM sent to you
Posted By: kaulad Re: Need Alum - 06/04/20 03:41 PM
Would someone please post the source mentioned above located in Springfield, Mo.?
Posted By: ShortCut Re: Need Alum - 06/05/20 03:46 AM
I also have a very muddy sediment pond. Be sure you know why it's muddy! I assumed mine was due to bullhead and pumped it down with a screen on the intake pipe. Once it was low I threw a net 30+ times... Hundreds of crayfish! Not 1 bullhead.
It may be obvious but take a jar, bucket or jug full of water and set it aside. If it settles you have something stirring the bottom.
© Pond Boss Forum