Pond Boss
Posted By: nehunter Wave action muddying water - 03/27/20 04:10 PM
I have a lot of larger waves washing my shore. It would cost more than I can afford to rock shore line. I have a lot of 6, 10 and 12 inch perforated plastic aeration tubes. If I would stake them half way submerged in the water, would they do any good to stop bank from washing away? I tried to plant plants but the waves wash them away or the deer, muskrats and geese just eat them. We get 8 to 12 inches of ice. Would they stay put or get carried away with the ice? Ice usually melts from the bank first. They are black so that would help. I also have a lot of 4 inch sewer pipe, but that seems like the waves would just wash over the pipe and not do anything. Not going to do the whole lake, just 500 to 750 feet on each side of the dam. The banks slope would drop off fairly fast when the lake was new. But now I have 15 to 25 feet of shallow water (6 to 8 inches ). In strong winds I have seen probably 16 to 24 inch white caps on the main part of the lake. When the lake is clear with calm winds ( under 10 mph.) You could drive over the dam and see 50 yards of muddy water next to bank. I have used broken up concrete but my supply is used up. I looked into concrete rail road ties, but again they would be about $1000. plus again that much for hauling. Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Wave action muddying water - 03/27/20 07:40 PM
You're not going to be able to do anything without some cost of hauling material to site, even if it's free, unless you want to haul it one pickup load at a time.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Wave action muddying water - 03/27/20 08:18 PM
Anything that you can put in close to the bank will help. The question is will it help enough to be worth your while?

Think about what they do around marinas at the big lakes...floating barges, if you will, that somewhat surround the boat docks. They diminish the waves considerably.

I have also seen electric pole "walls" at the ocean piers that really knock down waves. Basically, poles that are set verically in a tight row coming out of the water above the wave crests.

If I had a bunch of drain tile/pvc pipe works and nothing wlse to try (which is what I think you are talking about) I would consider running them parallel with the bank so that they are in water deep enough to just show the tops, but they really need to be anchored well. If they move with the waves they are not doing all that they can to stop the waves. I'm thinking cinder blocks, sacrete bags, T post, ect.

Disclaimer: I've not done this and would try a 20 foot section and observe before comitting to the full legth.
Posted By: snrub Re: Wave action muddying water - 03/28/20 02:19 AM
This is an old thread that mostly talks about rock lining which you said was not possible. Been a while since I read it but maybe it has some other suggestions.
Rock lining ponds to control wave erosion
© Pond Boss Forum