Pond Boss
Posted By: bassman_67 Could it be a combination? - 04/07/19 03:45 PM
My dad had a two acre pond built back in 2009. So now it’s about 10 years old. 16ft deep there is a field from the north that feeds into the pond. We had a silt dam put in a year ago but now it seems like the water never clears up like it used to no matter how much it rains or how little of rain that we get. We got catfish, grass crap, bass and bluegill in our pond.

Could it be the grass crap and catfish that keep stirring it up that makes it murky? Or Do we have to plant some type of grass or cottontail back we’re the stilt dam drain tube empties into our pond? What would be the best approach? Dad’s been shorting the grass carp cause he does not think they are doing a good job. (Have has no Alger of any kind on the water for two years) So If you guys had this what would you do? What would be the best approach? I will get pics posted later about our pond and we’re that silt dam is.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: Could it be a combination? - 04/08/19 02:47 AM
Grass crap shouldn't muddy water but catfish will. Maybe you have too many?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Could it be a combination? - 04/08/19 03:01 AM
Get a sample in a clear jar.. Set in a dark closet, check after about 48hrs and see if there is sediment in bottom, take a pic of that and put sample back in the dark for the rest of the week. See what you have after 6-7 days. If it settles out it can be fish (mechanical) or wave action on a bare shore.
If it doesn't settle out it probably has nothing to do with fish, maybe organic in nature.
A note on Grass carp-they will muddy the hell out of an impoundment if they run out of vegetation to eat.
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: Could it be a combination? - 04/09/19 11:05 PM
Ok i will give that a try this weekend
© Pond Boss Forum