Pond Boss
Posted By: Terry D Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/10/06 04:26 PM
I am remodeling a room. I was told I could throw the sheet rock in my pond and it would help clear up muddy water. Is this correct? Will it effect the drinking water for my cattle?

Terry D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/10/06 07:23 PM
I doubt that it would do anything to the cows or for the muddy water.

If you could coarse grind it and spread the result on a windy day, it might, just might, clear the water. Like all of the purported solutions to muddy water, results are mixed.

Lusk told me last week about a guy South of Fort Worth who has applied 800 pounds PER ACRE FT. with no results.
Posted By: Terry D Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/10/06 08:01 PM
Thanks Dave for the reply
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/11/06 03:00 AM
Terry, if you want to grind it, give it a try. It should do no harm and might help. The guy at US Gypsun told me to use about 2,000 pounds per acre.
Posted By: Russ Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/11/06 11:15 AM
Some previous discussion on this topic.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000049#000014
Posted By: Steve M. Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/11/06 02:44 PM
sheet rock will clear the water,i have done it on 3 different ponds.it does however take alot of product to work.it took us about 2 pickup truck loads to clear a 1 acre pond we built and that seems to be the average amount needed.it will float when you put in the pond for about 1-2 days then it will slowly break down and start to work,it does take about 1 week to make a difference.
Posted By: h20fwlkillr Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/11/06 05:59 PM
If you place most of the sheetrock where the main influx of water comes into the pond, it seems to be a little more effective.
Posted By: Terry D Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/13/06 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Tuzz Re: Sheet Rock for muddy water? - 06/16/06 02:01 AM
Not a good idea to use sheetrock in pond with fish or where you are going to swim due to fiberglass fibers.

http://www.usg.com/Design_Solutions/2_2_6_diffdrywall.asp

From this web site above:

"Type ‘X’ gypsum drywall, such as SHEETROCK® Brand Gypsum Panels, FIRECODE Core, has glass fibers mixed with the gypsum to reinforce the core of the panels. These fibers have the effect of bridging and reducing the extent and size of the cracks that form as the water is driven off, thereby extending the length of time that the gypsum can resist heat without failure."
© Pond Boss Forum