Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello Texas - 03/19/06 01:48 PM
I'm seein' some big red thingies on my radar loop in central Texas this morning. Is that rain?
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas - 03/19/06 01:57 PM
I saw the same thing and I watched it yesterday as well. I think they are in a state of shock and are not posting with great emotion and cheers or else they are at the ponds to check the status. \:\) \:D
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/19/06 02:35 PM
I have had 4 big events go by me. One to the north, one to the south and one that was 100 miles long and 50 miles wide red on NWS radar was headed for me dead center. The dag nab thingy jumped me. I have never seen a cloud jump but this one did. I could not have gotten by the moderators for several hours after that one. Finally a fourth one gave me 1.5 inches for 2 inches so far. It is raining again now and looks like more later. I went out at 5 am this morning and stood in the middle of my creek. There are several stock tanks above me that must fill before I will see the creek run. I am watching the radar. Looks like heybud will have less than I have so for. We still have some good chances. Yahoo! \:D There are some places between here and Abilene that have 7+ inches. My coastal is getting a good soaking anyway! I'm happy! \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 03/19/06 02:37 PM
My rain guage in the metroplex shows 2.6 inches with some more coming. I called a rural neighbor yesterday afternoon and was told that we had gotten 1.5 inches there. It has fallen slowly and will help the fire situation. The forecast is for this to end tomorrow morning and possibly more rain coming Thursday. The neighbor will call if we get a serious rain that will get our ponds the runoff they need. As badly as I want a frog strangler, it needs to be preceeded by a couple of days of slow soaking rain. Otherwise, it will wash the country away.

However, it won't deliver the runoff we need for water impounding. Nor will it last long. The trees are budding, grass is greening and will quickly suck up any ground water. A cold front is coming that will cut down on evaporation. Like AHVASTA said in a previous post, he could stand 3 inches and still get no runoff.

I don't want to sound negative or unthankful. Most of the fires are grass fires. The state is loaded with open range with dead grass. In that respect, this is huge. The TV says that this has extinguished the grass fires in the Panhandle. We will have to get a couple of inches per week for the next couple of months to make a dent in our drought. This allows the National Forest Service firefighters and local Departments a welcome respite.

More prayers will be appreciated.
Posted By: george Re: Texas - 03/19/06 03:23 PM
3 inches so far in N.E. Texas (Delta County) and more headed that was on radar - supposed to rain all day and all night..... \:D
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 03/19/06 03:37 PM
Here's yer loop!

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southplains_loop.php
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: Texas - 03/19/06 04:33 PM
I have had a trace, Dave. We did disc 65a just in case! Hope not jinxed. Candles lite, praying, dancing resumes after church! You know how those southern Baptist are...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 03/19/06 04:46 PM
See that big white area between the 2 greens on the loop? Yep, that's me.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 03/19/06 05:14 PM
PondsforFun,
I acutally live in Midland, so am relying on you to tell me we have a lot of rain down toward Zephyr. It is raining in Midland right now. Hope everyone gets the rain they need (including me)
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/19/06 06:02 PM
Looks like you have a real good rain event happening right now. I just had .6" in 15 minutes here. There was a severe storm warning close to you but just expired. Try this loop for rain amounts they are pretty accurate. Also on the left side of the screen you can click on base loop for radar.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=SJT&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

This is the most fun I have had in a while. 10 years ago, I never would have thought I would be saying that about a thunderstorm! :rolleyes: \:D
Posted By: txpondad Re: Texas - 03/19/06 07:56 PM
I think this one's going to filler up! The water shed is shedding and there's some red on the radar headed my way. I'm in the southern part of Collin county in the metroplex. This is just awesome .
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 03/19/06 08:50 PM
3.6 inches at my house. It will end soon.

Got a call that we've had 3" in the country. It fell pretty slow for 24 hrs with very little runoff. However, it looks like there is a chance for a little more there.

Dang, I'm glad it isn't the white stuff that you guys in the Midwest are dealing with. Looks like a real mess.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Texas - 03/19/06 10:06 PM
I saw on the news that parts of dallas have gotten 9"+ inches of rain just from today.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 03/19/06 10:31 PM
Downtown Dallas has gotten 6.2 and more is coming. Low areas like underpasses are already flooded.
Posted By: txpondad Re: Texas - 03/19/06 10:37 PM
My gauge says this event dumped 6.3" on me. Judging by the NOAA storm total map, areas to my immediate south were the hardest hit in the metroplex and 9" wouldn't surprise me at all. This has been a strong, steady and relentless event.

My pond began outflowing at about 4PM and the inflow is still going strong. It was down 5 feet when the day began. It's been a long time since I've seen this. I had forgotten how big she looks when full.
Posted By: txpondad Re: Texas - 03/20/06 12:05 AM
Looks like more red stuff on the radar is headed this way . I sure don't need any more. Looks like the spillway will get a workout tonight.

After watching the news, its evident that this event has caused some real pain to a lot of people. I sure hope this deluge is nearing an end.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 03/20/06 12:22 AM
I gotta apologise. I overdid the Watusi here. I need more further North.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 03/20/06 01:25 AM
Flash Flood Statement
Flash Flood Warning
Flash Flood Watch
Flood Statement
Flood Warning
Hazardous Weather Outlook
Short Term Forecast
Wind Advisory

Cut and pasted this from NWS, Dallas. Yikes.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/20/06 10:22 AM
I have got to take Watusi lessons from Dave. I ended up with 3.6 inches. It came over 36 hours a little at a time. The farmer in me is rejoicing, the pond boss is crying. The creek did not run at all. \:\( I have about 4' of water in the deep part. Just enough I will have to stock minnows to control mosquitoes.

heybud- I am not sure, but you may have gotten one real hard rain. The storm that just missed me to the south went over Brownwood and cars were stranded in the Wall Mart parking lot. The storm looked like it went on to Zephyr. Take your camera when you go. We would like to see how much water it has now! \:\)
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 03/20/06 12:50 PM
PondsforFun
I am headed to Zephyr tomorrow. I will report on the rainfall. I had just put up a rain gauge before I left last week. Wish your pond could have filled up. Thanks for the report.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 03/20/06 01:29 PM
I wound up with 4.9 inches in the metroplex and about 3.5 in the country. Probably had to get some runoff but not any appreciable amount. This stuff fell just right for rural soils but not for water impoundments. People in flooded Dallas would disagree with that statement. Underground parking garages are holding water nicely. Good thing it happened on a weekend.
Posted By: george Re: Texas - 03/20/06 02:30 PM
6.5 inches of rain at the ponds – back to normal with 4 ft. rise……!
Water still running into ponds so maybe soon siphon spillway system will take out some of the nutrient loaded water.

Our prayers were answered, but sympathy for single life lost and isolated low area flooding.

George Glazener
N.E. Texas
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/27/06 12:58 AM
heybud- How was your trip to Zephyr? Did you catch some water? We have a 50% chance for Tuesday and Wednesday again this week. I am starting my watusi dance now. Keep us up to date on your pond. \:\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Texas - 03/27/06 08:41 PM
I finally got to my place this weekend; 3.3 inches of rain. It is possible that the water level came up 3.3 inches but it's hard to tell.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/27/06 09:47 PM
That's terrible news Dave. Your pond only came up 3"? That means you are still at the worst drought level? The NWS lowered our chances for this week, but we still have a 50% chance tonight. Hope it goes your way so you will be full again.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 03/27/06 09:52 PM
I have not had a runoff event at my pond since June, 2004. This is getting really old. In the last four years I'm 40 inches under normal precipitation. The funny thing is that the grass is green because we get fairly timely 1/10 inch rains in the spring and early summer. Even though my well discharge keeps my pond from going dry, I never have any overflow so the nutrients and salt keeps building, and building, and building.... \:\(
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 03/28/06 01:55 PM
Just returned from Zephyr. The pond still looks pretty pathetic. We got a slow 2 inch rain but not much run off. All and all it was disappointing. Maybe this week? Just subscribed to Pond Boss Mag. Can hardly wait for first issue. [img] http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/heybud77/IM000595.jpg [/img]

[img] http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/heybud77/IM000594.jpg [/IMG]
This is the new dock I just finished. The water level used to be close to the bottom of the dock. Pretty sad!
Posted By: Ross Baker Re: Texas - 03/28/06 07:19 PM
Studies show that subscribing to Pond Boss Magazine results in an average 22.68% increase in rainfall in your area! \:D
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 03/28/06 07:38 PM
I'd like to place an order for two more subscriptions, please....
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 03/28/06 07:49 PM
I second that Bruce
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/28/06 09:43 PM
heybud-I see you spent your time in Zephyr doing constructive things to your pond. Sorry to hear about the rain you received but maybe the PB subscription will bring you luck tonight.

When you go to photobucket there should be three URL's under your photo. The third one says IMG. If you will put your mouse arrow over that third one and click it should turn blue or change color.(be sure the entire content of the URL window changes color. If you click and all you can see turns blue then all of it has turned blue) If you will use your right mouse button to click, a small window will appear. move your arrow to "copy" and click. Then come back to the window here on Ask the boss where you type. Make sure the cursor is in a new line by itself and right click again. Move the arrow to "paste" and click. The URL should appear with IMG on both ends. Do not make any changes to the URL. Hit enter again so the URL is on a line by itself. This should make your photos appear. You can continue typing below the URL.

Bruce- I feel your pain on the lack of runoff. I can't be totally sympathetic with your cause when I see you holding up those beautiful trophy BG and I can't even hold up a minnow from my own pond. \:\( I am in terrible need of sympathy! ;\) \:D

Four subscriptions for me!
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Texas - 03/28/06 11:16 PM
I just heard the forecast. Widespread thundershowers for tomorrow and chance of heavy thindershowers Thursday.

DANCE & PRAY!!!

BTW, the Thinder is not a typo. I gotta see it to believe it.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/30/06 12:32 AM
heybud- I only got 55/100 of an inch last night. I don't think you fared much better. Oh well it's better than a poke in the eye. \:\)
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 03/30/06 01:00 PM
PondsForFun,
We are headed back to Zephyr tomorrow. I will see if the Watusi works in Zephyr, Texas. We may have to switch to the Boogaloo, mashed patato or something else.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/30/06 03:04 PM
heybud- we had another huge storm coming toward us on tuesday morning and it fizzled about 20 miles west of me. It was so big I was predicting a full pond for us both. It is amazing how fast these big storms can die.

Bruce- I saw a strong storm go over lincoln on radar this morning. Any good news? Which way from lincoln are your ponds?

edit-You were just issued a tornado watch and have a strong front coming from the west. I hope you get enough rain to overflow your ponds!
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 03/30/06 03:44 PM
PFF - Sounds like it is time to switch to the boogaloo or mashed tater.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/30/06 04:30 PM
I'll try the boogalo if you will do the mashed tater. Not sure how the tater is done. :rolleyes: \:\)
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 03/31/06 07:05 PM
PFF
Are the burn bans still on in that part of Texas? I just bought one of 500,000 btu burners and am gonna take out some unwanted pond weeds.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 03/31/06 07:19 PM
Yes the burn bans are in full effect. I have been waiting for months to burn some big piles of wood I have from clearing my land. $500 fine in Brown county.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Texas - 03/31/06 11:24 PM
North Central Texas has stopped the burn bans. However, they are expected to be on again shortly.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 04/01/06 01:30 AM
Dave - We in the true center of Texas call your neck of the woods North Eastern Texas. ;\)
There is a geographical marker only 20 miles from my place that is a big heart with a plaque that says it is the geographical center of Texas.

Hey Dave that is your alter ego in use again! You are not even a moderator. #61 \:D
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas - 04/01/06 01:51 AM
Pretty sneaky huh that way he can work under cover. That's ok PFF Dave can use my moderator button anytime he needs it. \:D \:D ;\)
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 04/01/06 02:46 AM
Can I use your moderator button? I have some great ideas. PFF #1, 5 stars, and the moderator moderator. X-rated photos N films, poker night, a poltical section, Robinsons' PI corner, slam the GG section! (evil monster is turned loose on Ask the boss)! :p :p \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 04/01/06 03:29 AM
PFF, I do actually have an alter ego. It's for when I'm goofing off at work. That's the nice guy. DD1 is the evil moooderator.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 04/03/06 01:34 AM
Back from Zephyr. No increase in the pond level. I went ahead and added 200 BG, 50 RES, 25 CC, 10 Grass Carp, and 25 bull frog tadpoles. I guess I'm just opptimistic. There were a lot of spawning beds around the edge of the pond. Would these be bass or BG?
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 04/03/06 02:08 PM
heybud- This sounds like you are having way too much fun. ;\) When are we going to get some more pictures? Where did you get your fish and what size were they? I need to stock something in my puddle to keep the mosquitoes down. Keep us all informed so we can share some of the fun! \:\)
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 04/03/06 03:58 PM
We got our fish at Arms on Saturday. The BG were 4 to 5 inches. CC were 12 inches. RES were 3 to 5 inches. It was really too much for my wife and I since the bags were so heavy, but we managed without too many fatalities. We put out some pellets and were surprised to see the grass carp and a lone turtle come and eat them (along with everything else). I can't bear to take any pictures of the pond right now. The old gal doesn't have her best dress on yet.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 04/04/06 10:01 AM
That is some good information. Did you make an appointment with Arms or just drive over there? That old gal will be gussied up again before you can whistle the Texas national anthem.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 04/04/06 11:44 AM
PFF- We called ahead first. I actually went over just to get the grass carp. I didn't think I would have enough room in the pickup to get much more. Mr. Arms said if I wanted more he could load me up, and they did. Put big boxes in the bed of the truck then put big plastic bags filled with water(and oxygen)then the fish. I had a load. That water is heavy. If you need a phone number let me know.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Texas - 04/04/06 03:20 PM
If you guys make it back to see Harrel Arms, as for a copy of his pamphlet titled "Everything I know about catching fish".
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 04/04/06 03:37 PM
Dave - You don't even have to ask. He will just give you one. I have two copies. He also told me he doesn't eat fish. He said fish are just a way to make money so he can go buy a steak.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 04/12/06 05:05 PM
PFF - Any chance of rain down your way? I am afraid to see the Zephyr pond. I may not have to worry about any talapia.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 04/12/06 05:39 PM
No chances for seven days according to the NWS. The weather channel has a couple of 20% chances in the 10 day forecast. Their 20% chance is about 1/100 from what I've seen. I have never seen it so dry at this time of year. I mowed in a cloud of dust yesterday. I am not even going to stock minnows in my puddle yet. At this rate it will be dry in 4-6 weeks. Looks like it will be next year for me. I am quickly loosing hope for this year. \:\(
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Texas - 04/13/06 12:39 AM
PFF,

The rainy season is past now for us in East Texas. What rains we got earlier are welcome, but I don't expect anything significant now until around the first of June. At that time, in many years past, we have often had a stalled cold front park over the region and dump large amounts of rain. If we do not get that this year, we can only look for a hurricane for relief and after Rita, I think I'll take the drought. Please, please I hope I'm wrong. \:\(
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 04/17/06 12:36 AM
Well the Zephyr pond continues to shrink. It still has a good amount of water and the fish look good but not sure how much longer we can hold out. It was 97 degrees Saturday.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 04/17/06 01:13 AM
heybud- We at least have some chances this week. I am having a little hope (call me an optimist). \:\) Look at this!! \:D
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/6-10_day/

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Brownwood&state=TX&site=SJT
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 05/03/06 01:53 AM
I've been watching the weather maps all day, and it sure looks like it rained a lot west of Wichita Falls, TX.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 05/03/06 02:27 AM
I have severe storms bearing down on me as we speak. I can't tell you how happy this makes me. \:D It is me and heybuds turn! If we don't get any rain from this one, you all will be co-conspirators in helping me design and build a cloud seeding rocket. ;\) I am not taking this lying down any longer! \:D
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 05/03/06 08:06 PM
PFF - I'm with you. Let don't take this any longer. Can you shoot clouds with a pellet gun?
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 05/03/06 08:22 PM
I got 7/10 of an inch last night. It looked like you got close to the same. Was you at your pond or at home?

There was someone in India that was experimenting with salt crystals that were ground to microns and were carried up on small rockets with an explosive payload to spread the crystals. Maybe if your a pilot we could take a plane up with a shotgun and some rock salt! It would be during a thunderstorm. Hope you are a good pilot! \:D
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 05/03/06 10:57 PM
PFF- We were in Midland, but are headed out tomorrow for Zephyr. We were there last weekend and got two half inch rains. It didn't do nuttin for the pond, but was good for the flora.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 05/03/06 11:30 PM
heybud-We have some good chances tonight through Saturday.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 05/04/06 12:09 AM
We have had some huge threats headed for the metroplex but have gotten 1/10 inch. BTW, the Preacher tells me that someday I will regret not building an Ark.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 06/17/06 03:24 AM

Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 06/19/06 04:44 PM
Bruce,
Now I'm really depressed.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 06/19/06 06:07 PM
Bruce chose dentistry for the same reason he posted this graph! Oh the pain, the pain! \:D
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Texas - 06/19/06 07:18 PM
Notice the green, drought likely to improve, is all along the gulf coast, and its late June. I believe even I could have predicted that. :rolleyes:
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Texas - 07/01/06 12:02 AM
Looks like my jet stream jig hasnt helped you fellas out, and I do feel your pain. My pond is down about 2 feet right now, and the big test is on to see how it'll hold out til this Fall.

Just out of curiousity, what do you define as a drought there?

We have what's called a mediterranean climate....all the precip occurs between about November and April (typically 20-40" for foothills, although this last season...>55"), and virtually nothing, and I mean nothing, from May to November.

A drought for us, and it has happened before, is if no rain comes in the late Fall. Back from about 1975-1977 there was no rainy season...almost 2 years of no precip....this will happen again as it is cyclicle.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 07/01/06 01:15 PM
DIED,
Not sure what the official definition of a drought is, but I bought Zephyr pond last November. It rained 10 inches, in one day, the August before I bought it and since has rained a total of about 4 inches. Don't know if that constitutes a drought but it's damn dry.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Texas - 07/01/06 01:34 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
We have what's called a mediterranean climate....all the precip occurs between about November and April
D.I.E.D.,
All us rednecks in East Texas are happy to know we have a mediterranean climate, also...and all this time we thought we were climate challenged. \:\)

We follow the same rainfall pattern but usually get 50 to 60 inches per year, which means a very wet winter. The last two winters have been dry.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 07/01/06 03:15 PM
heybud- I was driving home from Austin in that 10" rain you are talking about. Hardest rain I have ever seen. I saw a creek staring to cross the road somewhere near Zephyr. I was the last pickup truck to get through.

We have the best chances of rain from now to Thursday. I will let you know if we get any appreciable amounts.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 07/14/06 12:09 AM
Here's out my back window five minutes ago. As usual, it's going the wrong way. We'll never see a drop. \:\(

Posted By: ewest Re: Texas - 07/14/06 02:02 AM
WC showed storms all over your area -- how did they miss ?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 07/14/06 02:16 AM
So far my gauge shows .05 inch.

Looks like there's been some big'uns all around us.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Texas - 07/14/06 12:39 PM
Bruce, we recieved only .25" out at the pond last night on the north side of Lincoln. My house on in SE Lincoln got 1.1" and hail the size of quarters last night. Once again our pond got very little rain. \:\(
Posted By: trialsguy Re: Texas - 07/14/06 12:55 PM
that cloud is a SLC meterologist term " Scary Looking Cloud"
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 07/16/06 06:10 PM
Just returned from Zephyr Pond. It's the lowest anyone had ever seen it. I predict if no significant rain ocurrs by the end of August it will be the end of Zephyr Pond as I know it. I will be joining the Desert Plant forum.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 07/16/06 06:46 PM
heybud- have you talked to anyone about a water well? I would give my left big toe and $10,000 for a good well. My neighbor dug one only 300 yards from me and got 1/2 GPM. That is not even worth drilling. They went down to 400' but only hit shell after 180'. I just wonder if I would hit a better well here. I don't think 3-400 yards would be that much different. I would sure check it out if I were you. It would be much better than watching the pond dry up.
Posted By: george Re: Texas - 07/16/06 08:19 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by PondsForFun:
heybud- have you talked to anyone about a water well? I would give my left big toe and $10,000 for a good well. My neighbor dug one only 300 yards from me and got 1/2 GPM. That is not even worth drilling. They went down to 400' but only hit shell after 180'. I just wonder if I would hit a better well here. I don't think 3-400 yards would be that much different. I would sure check it out if I were you. It would be much better than watching the pond dry up.
Hey Guys, here's some Texas Major and Minor Aquifer info that might help you decide on drilling water wells.
I checked it out last summer and no chance of decent water well in Delta County.
Major aquifers on each side of county.

We opted for pond renovation and deepening shallow upper end for more water capacity.

Posted By: heybud Re: Texas - 07/16/06 08:54 PM
My neighbor just above the pond drilled a well and it produces 2 gallons per minute. I believe he told me is was close to 200' deep. He has to have a storage tank just to be able to supply enough water for his house. I will probably have a well drilled but don't realistically think it will supply enough to fill the pond. It is pretty much hit and miss where we are. By the way how good of a well do you think it would take to keep a 2 acre pond filled or at least partially filled?
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 07/16/06 09:38 PM
heybud- here is a website i found that has drillers logs of wells drilled. There are a good many around Zypher that produce 10-30 GPM.

http://134.125.70.235/drillers-new/index.asp

They have their links set up crazy so you will need to hit the "well report search" and choose county. (unless you know your grid numbers). Then you will need to skim through the reports that are closest to your property.

http://134.125.70.235/drillers-new/insertwellreportprint.asp?track=48997

http://134.125.70.235/drillers-new/insertwellreportprint.asp?track=47998
If I thought I could get 10GPM I would call them tomorrow. You would realistically need between 10 - 20 GPM but 30 would be great.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 07/16/06 11:18 PM
My well produces 1/2 GPM and I use a 2,500 gallon tank to assure that I have water. I feel lucky to have it. It was the 3rd hole drilled and, overall, the total cost was a little over $10K.

No way you can impress a pond with less than 10 GPM.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 07/30/06 02:19 PM

Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Texas - 07/30/06 04:07 PM
Our only hope for central and north Texas is a hurricane to come in around Victoria (sorry Victoria) and head north.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 09/18/06 11:23 PM
Here's the newest map:

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Texas - 09/19/06 12:54 AM
thanks for the pic bruce, it reminded me of a question i asked in a post a couple months ago, in fact, may have been the top of this thread 6 pages ago.......how do does the USDA define a drought?

its hard not to notice CA in the clear (non-drought conditions) when in fact our last measurable rainfall was April 16 2006. Of course this happens just about every year, we expect it, it is the definition of a mediterranean climate. Now if it dont rain at all starting around November through April, we have us a major drought.

Did TX not get any rain last winter?

not that my questions help any of us pondmeisters suffering major losses to evaporation, just trying to clarify USDA classifications (if thats possible).
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Texas - 09/19/06 12:58 AM
i just caught the feller's work location at the bottom of the pic............"nat'l drought mitigation center".......how on earth do you mitigate a drought?......i certainly feel better that there is a government agency on that one........
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 09/19/06 01:05 AM
See that area in North Central Texas that says Exceptional drought? Yep, that's me. With the exception of 2004, we are in an 8 year drought.

Dave, my area got virtually no rain last fall, winter, spring or summer. I may have gotten 6 to 8 inches during that 12 months. Our weather forecasts are all about scattered showers, not rain.

I have now had about 4 inches during the last 4 or 5 weeks. That is huge around here. All of it has fallen very slowly; great for the ground but no runoff.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Texas - 09/19/06 01:14 AM
silly me, i posted on the previsous page (5) back in june....and thanks ML and others who answered my questions.....still chuckling at the drought mitigation center.......? what kind of job descriptions you imagine they have? do they just follow and map droughts, do they seed rain clouds, do they build new pipelines in from the CO river, drill water wells, or is it a $$ agency to supplement farmers with dry ponds, failed crops and dead livestock?? just curious how my tax money is spent on that one.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Texas - 09/19/06 01:26 AM
"Drought Mitigation Through Superior Bureaucracy"
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 09/22/06 12:53 AM
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Did you guys see this typhoon?

We're not getting a ton of rain, but we're sure getting a slow steady sprinkle.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Texas - 09/22/06 12:24 PM
Dang, that's a big Radar map, Bruce. The current view does not bode well for me staying dry while fishing tonight.
Posted By: bobad Re: Texas - 09/22/06 12:39 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Did you guys see this typhoon?

We're not getting a ton of rain, but we're sure getting a slow steady sprinkle.
I watched that monster all day yesterday. It looks like a land-locked hurricane. I bet there was some wind on the plains as it approached!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: Texas - 09/22/06 05:11 PM
all that that went by and we just got 2/10th of and inch, looked like it should have unloaded here in Kansas City area
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas - 09/22/06 05:42 PM
bobad it will probably wait to unload until it encounters gulf moisture around Saturday and then all of us in La. , Miss. , and Ala. better hold on.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 09/22/06 08:42 PM
I got 1.40 out of it.

Normal rain for this time of year is 23 inches in Lincoln, NE. I've got 20.5 inches. I think it's 6 of the last 7 years I'm under normal precip. I hope I live long enough to see the end of the drought.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Texas - 09/22/06 08:44 PM
We got 1.15" last night at the pond.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Texas - 10/04/06 04:44 AM
call off the national drought mitigation center, we should get our first measurable precip tomorrow (first since 4/16/06). Although it will probably just tinkle a bit, at least evap rates are squelched for time being.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 10/05/06 12:43 AM
I'm in East Texas right now, and DANG it's dry here!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Texas - 10/05/06 12:49 PM
... no JD or even DMD. \:\(
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 10/10/06 10:09 AM
Heybud and PFF are getting wet this morning.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Texas - 10/11/06 04:34 PM
And BrianH. Amost 3" and still very little runoff. If it rains this weekend it should run.
Posted By: Jake B Re: Texas - 10/19/06 08:57 PM
Got 11" since last Saturday and my pond is FULL!!!!!!!!! Yee haw!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 11/01/06 04:35 AM
14 degrees tonight in the Cornhusker state.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Texas - 11/01/06 04:06 PM
Sounds like you might get yur ice fishing wish this year, Bruce.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 11/22/06 05:58 AM
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead04/off04_prcp.gif

Maybe a little more rain coming for my Texas friends??
Posted By: LoopTech Re: Texas - 11/22/06 12:18 PM
Thanks.. After about 10 yrs below normal rainfall.. Its about time
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 11/22/06 12:27 PM
This begs the question of average. We are now into the 9th year of a drought. 2004 was an exception but certainly not a drought buster. If they are talking about 90 days of good rainfalls, we will all cheer. However, it won't take much precip if they are talking above average for our drought.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 10/26/07 12:32 AM
I'm surprised nobody from Texas has given me a hard time about last night.

Husker volleyball team got SMOKED by the Horns.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 10/26/07 12:59 AM
We occasionally show our class instead of our XXX. Besides, that ain't football.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Texas - 10/26/07 01:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I'm surprised nobody from Texas has given me a hard time about last night.

Husker volleyball team got SMOKED by the Horns.

Nobody would give you grief about volleyball, Bruce.

How's that football team working out for you?
Posted By: BarO Re: Texas - 10/26/07 01:33 AM
The volleyball team is a lot easier on your eyes than the football team, huh......
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Texas - 10/26/07 01:45 AM
You just watch. Huskers are headed to Austin, TX today for the game. Texas is a 21 1/2 pt. favorite. Huskers will be lucky to stay within 40, I hate to say....

Posted By: burgermeister Re: Texas - 10/26/07 02:02 AM
Living In The Past.

Jethro Tull.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas - 10/26/07 10:22 AM
I'm not going to worry about football or other spectator sports anymore this year. Youth hunting weekend starts tomorrow and my Pardner and I will be there. I'll bet that he will also want to clean out a couple of the 10 or so remaining catfish that we have. Then, the next weekend, regular hunting season starts.

I'm not really a hunting fanatic. However, this is the time of year to be outdoors. If I'm stuck at home, I MIGHT watch some Sunday football but I'll hate it.
© Pond Boss Forum