Pond Boss
Posted By: TheBigRagu Pond Between Muddy and Clear - 09/29/05 06:31 PM
I have a pond that is approximately 1-2 years old, between 1.75-2 acres, and it is somewhere in between muddy and clear. The soil type is a muddy/very sandy/very rocky(gravel) mix. There is about 10 acres of runoff that is a mix between woods and pasture. Is there any possibility that the pond water will clear up as the pond ages or is it likely that i will have to intervene with some type of chemical/fertilizer to make the water clear up?

Thanks,
Ragu
Posted By: casca Re: Pond Between Muddy and Clear - 09/29/05 08:41 PM
I feel certain that you will have to treat with gypsum or aluminum sulphate to get it clear. Latest issue of pond boss has a good article on it. Others know more than me, but I do know that the muddy pond is just great for catfish. One of mine that I manange for a cousin has solid suspended clay for over four years and I have some great channel cats. I stocked 10 lbs. of fathead minnows and about 150 channels at that time and started a spin feeder two years ago and we are catching some close to 10 lb. now. No weed problems, water is always cool even in summer, and fish bite consistently. I mentioned the cool water because I noticed that the other clearer waters were warm to the touch compared to the muddy water and it surprised me. Anyway it depends on what you want. Good luck.
Posted By: TheBigRagu Re: Pond Between Muddy and Clear - 10/08/05 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info... After much reasearch I believe the first thing I will try is to plant more grass around the pond and the runoff area. Currently the vegetation in these areas is sporadic at best. I will try to post my results over time... Thanks again... Ragu
© Pond Boss Forum