Pond Boss
Posted By: bassman_67 How to cut down on sediment - 07/02/17 11:08 PM
Ok well our pond was constructed back in 2009. When they dug it they hit 3 natural springs those usually keep the water very clear. Fast forward to this year after putting CC and GC into our pond, with run off from the north from another field, and alot of rain this spring and summer the pond has gotten very dirty. My father is worried that the LMB wont grow any bigger since the GC and CC are stirring up the bottom. Along with the run off. We have a plan for a sediment dam to go in on the north side but we are waiting for the NRCS to release the money (going on two years).

So here are my questions.

Will the dirty water affect fish growth?

What are some ways to make the water clear up?
Posted By: anthropic Re: How to cut down on sediment - 07/03/17 12:24 AM
Take sample of water home for a few nights and see if it clears. If it does and you see mud residue on the bottom, then runoff is the issue.

If it doesn't clear, you may have suspended clay. Put some alum in and see if it helps. If so, you might try alum in the pond.

Often the problem goes away on its own -- mine did. But it took several months...
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: How to cut down on sediment - 07/03/17 12:45 AM
What is alum?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: How to cut down on sediment - 07/03/17 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: bassman_67
What is alum?

Aluminum Sulfate, usually in a powder form. Moderately acidic, needs buffering with quicklime when used in a pond.
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: How to cut down on sediment - 07/03/17 03:10 AM
So how much would I need for a 2/acer pond, and how often would I have to put it in, and were would I get it?
© Pond Boss Forum