Pond Boss
Posted By: isaac muddy pond in ohio - 05/25/08 11:57 PM
My pond is muddy only in the warm months. I'm assuming it is due to the bloom. Any ideas on how to clear the water up. In the cooler months it is a lot more clear. I would like to have it like that more. Thank you.
Posted By: Eastland Re: muddy pond in ohio - 05/26/08 01:41 AM
You will find a lot of people recommending gypsum for your needs. Alum (Aluminum Sulfate)is 3 times as strong, you just need to watch your PH levels when introducing it. I found out about it here, located it in my area, and it was a miracle worker. In addition, I placed several bags in the creekbeds to erode naturally as runoff occurs.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: muddy pond in ohio - 05/26/08 02:24 AM
If your cloudy water is due to a bloom, then gypsum, alum or lime will not clear it up. If you have something in the pond stirring up the muddy bottom sediment then using an additive to clear it will only be a temporary clearing until the "stirring-up" resumes.
Posted By: Eastland Re: muddy pond in ohio - 05/26/08 02:45 AM
isaac, do you have catfish or large carp in your pond?
Posted By: JCD Re: muddy pond in ohio - 05/26/08 01:09 PM
Questions on Aluminum Sulfate...
What is a good source?
How do you determine how much to apply?
What is the best way to apply it?
How long should it take to clear up the water?
Does on application do it or does it require regular application?
Thanks,
Joe D.
Cumby, TX
Posted By: JCD Muddy Pond - 05/26/08 01:13 PM
Summer before last during the 2nd summer of a drought, I drained my largest pond and had a guy dig it out and enlarge it. We took it from about 1.5 acres to 3.5 acres. Bad news is, it has never regained it's clarity. Prior to digging it out, it was fairly clear. Since, it's been a muddy mess. I would have thought that it would have cleared by now. What is the best way to help this situation along? I've heard of using gypsum, but cant find it in bulk. I've hear of using aluminum sulfate (need more info on this one). Any suggestions are appreciated.
Posted By: bobad Re: Muddy Pond - 05/26/08 02:38 PM
JCD,

When you drained your pond, you lost all the minerals that make the water "hard". (the harder the water the less fine clay it can hold in suspension)

If most of your new water is soft, acidic rainwater, you'll have to wait for minerals to leach out of the soil and harden the water. That could take a long time, depending on the soil.

If you can borrow someone's well water, that's about the quickest way to harden it up. If not, add ~400# of gypsum at a time, and watch for clearing. At the 1st sign of clearing, stop, because it will continue to clear over time. If it takes more than about 1000# of gypsum, you can add a few bags of alum, as it's stronger. Using hydrated lime can cheapen and accelerate the operation. It's more base (higher PH) than gypsum, and much cheaper.

Alum dissolves almost instantly, so just dump it on a bare spot with waves and watch it disappear in an hour. Gypsum dissolves a little more slowly, but will still disappear in a day or 2. Hydrated lime dissolves much more slowly, so spread it. It will sink to the bottom in a thin layer, and dissolve over a year or so depending on the water's PH. Hydrated lime can be a little rough on your hands, and stress fish. If you decide to use it, it's a good idea to spread it in a barren spot.

I buy alum and gypsum in 50# bags from a local nursery . I get 50# bags of hydrated lime from a feed store, where it's cheaper than the nursery.
Posted By: Eastland Re: Muddy Pond - 05/26/08 09:29 PM
1) Just look up "chemical supply" in your area and make a few calls. I got mine from Estes in North Dallas.
2) Start off cautious, monitor your PH levels, you will see results overnight. I originally bought eight bags (40 or 50 lbs each). For the first application I used 2 for my initial dose for a 2.5 AC pond.
3) I simply paddled around in a jon boat, mixing pond water & alum in a 5 gal bucket, then dumping it overboard, I'm sure there are easier ways.
4) I did NOT want to kill my fish like Terry Bradshaws ! I had time and applied smaller doses. It works very fast.
5) My pond stayed clear after the initial treatment. It always went somewhat muddy after a big rain event, so I stacked the remaining bags I had on a small gully that fed into one of the creek channels I had for runoff. They lasted about 2 years before it was all gone.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Muddy Pond - 05/29/08 10:38 AM
How much AG lime are you guys using per acre?
Posted By: ewest Re: Muddy Pond - 05/29/08 01:39 PM
First get the water tested. If you are low on alkalinity or hardness use "Ag Lime or pelleted lime". See SRAC fact sheet 460 below.

SRAC 460 Control of Clay Turbidity in Ponds

http://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm?catid=25

http://srac.tamu.edu/tmppdfs/381285-460f...75bc303381c2355

© Pond Boss Forum