Pond Boss
Posted By: pdubdo Heteranthera limosa Aka mud plantain-good? - 06/20/22 05:45 PM
I’ve been trying to establish some pickerelweed in my 1 acre pond but to no avail. Something eats it, roots and all. But I just found some native mud plantain growing in a shallow seasonal pond nearby. Nothing seems to be eating it so I’m considering trying it out. Anyone have thoughts or experiments with this plant? Thanks!!
I had the opposite happen...Pickerel Weed established well, the Mud Plantain would not take. I would welcome Mud Plantain at my pond without a doubt.

My limited experience with plants (aquatic or otherwise) has taught me that if a plant likes the area they will take a hold rather easily when transplanted...If not, efforts may be in vane.

Pay close attention to the environment of the nearby pond where the plantain is growing and try to find a similar location at your pond (soil type, sunlight/shade, water depth, & surrounding plant life).
Posted By: RAH Re: Heteranthera limosa Aka mud plantain-good? - 06/21/22 09:55 AM
I had to protect my emergent plants from critters to get them established, but after that they spread well. I initially put thorny honey locust branches over them, but also have used chicken wire cages successfully. With the honey locust branches, be very careful not to wound yourself. The advantage is that they rot away over time.
© Pond Boss Forum