Pond Boss
Posted By: Black Creek WW New pond perimeter Plants - 01/17/22 01:12 AM
I am in Zone 6a, new pond about 3/4 Acre. installed in an old farm field. most of the area around the pond is cut down meadow, no trees or shrubs

I would like to landscape around the pond this spring by installing the various shrubs and plants beneficial to the health of the pond and wildlife. Is there any guidance out there to assist in this task?
Posted By: esshup Re: New pond perimeter Plants - 01/17/22 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by Black Creek WW
I am in Zone 6a, new pond about 3/4 Acre. installed in an old farm field. most of the area around the pond is cut down meadow, no trees or shrubs

I would like to landscape around the pond this spring by installing the various shrubs and plants beneficial to the health of the pond and wildlife. Is there any guidance out there to assist in this task?

Shrubs I would steer away from due to the leaves dropping in the pond.

For marginal plants, there is Plantain, Arrowhead, Pickerelweed, Sweet Flag, Iris, etc. (stay away from Cattails and Yellow Iris).
Posted By: RAH Re: New pond perimeter Plants - 01/17/22 11:11 AM
It is best to keep woody plants off the dam, but otherwise there are a lot of choices. https://www.aquascapesunlimited.com/Native-Wetland-Plants A lot depends on your objectives and tastes. My ponds are primarily for wildlife and secondarily for fishing and swimming. I have not really worried about leaves in my ponds, but each situation is different.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© Pond Boss Forum