Pond Boss
Posted By: Tyler D Filamentous Algea - 01/04/22 11:16 PM
New pond,1/4 acre, 8’ deep, western N.Y

Just put this pond in in September. Filled completely in 3 weeks. I’ve already got fil. algea in one area, a patch about 4’ in diameter showed up about 2 weeks ago. The area where it is is the last place to freeze over, if that makes any difference . I wasn’t there for all of the construction but remember my contractor said water came gushing out in that spot when he excavated it.
I was hoping to see some weed growth by spring , before I stock, but really wasn’t expecting this. Do I have an issue here?
Posted By: esshup Re: Filamentous Algea - 01/05/22 06:26 AM
It might take a year or two for weed growth. The algae is growing because there are enough nutrients in there to support it. Once the weeds get established the FA shouldn't be a problem.
Posted By: Tyler D Re: Filamentous Algea - 01/05/22 10:39 AM
Thanks Esshup, that’s a relief.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Filamentous Algea - 01/05/22 01:42 PM
Algae can also be temperature sensitive. If the algae is only where the construction guy said ground water entered the pond, then I would think that water is warmer than the standing water. Esshup's correct, aquatic plants will help control FA.
Posted By: Tyler D Re: Filamentous Algea - 01/05/22 03:28 PM
Fireishot

That may be as it’s relatively cold here now (27 degrees) and that water is coming in eight feet under the surface. Hopefully my lily pads will shade it out or otherwise discourage its growth after I plant them in the spring.
Thanks for responding.
© Pond Boss Forum