Pond Boss
Posted By: wbuffetjr Aphanizomenon - aka Grass Blade Bloom - 09/12/21 01:50 PM
Here is a semi recent pic of my water. Extremely thick grass blade bloom again. This used to never happen before I started aerating. Now this is two years in a row. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it? Along the lines of removing nutrients, I wonder how feasible it would be to tow a decent size net behind a boat and remove the algae??? Yes I am that desperate. What about something like Phoslock? I am all ears.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Aphanizomenon - aka Grass Blade Bloom - 09/13/21 11:37 AM
After reading up quite a bit on Aphanizomenon, it appears the stuff struggles in low phosphorus environment.

Anyone ever used Phoslock? It is VERY expensive per bag. Any of the pros on here have the ability to purchase it in bulk and resell?
Posted By: esshup Re: Aphanizomenon - aka Grass Blade Bloom - 09/13/21 02:23 PM
Yes. I've used Phoslock, liquid buffered alum and alum/hydrated lime to remove nutrients in a pond. Performed water tests pre/post to see the levels of nutrients removed. Phoslock was applied at the rate of 220# per ac/ft of water. Liquid buffered alum was applied at the rate of 55 gallons per acre foot and alum/hydrated lime was applied at the rate of 300#alum/150# Hydrated lime/ac ft of water.

Phoslock amount was determined by SePro after seeing amount of nutrients in the water sample.

Both buffered alum and alum/hydrated lime worked better at dropping levels of Soluble Reactive Phosphorous and Total Phosphorous levels than the Phoslock.
© Pond Boss Forum