Pond Boss
Posted By: Michael37090 Filamentous Algae quick question - 06/23/21 01:06 PM
I have read several posts on FA control. I understand you approach on nutrients, light and beneficial plants and I am on it. Definitely on that path. However, I have one or two stubborn patches of FA that I am going to spray.

My question is how the heck do you get it to be affective when it is just under the waterline? I have tried a little strong 2-4-D. It didn't seem to phase it at all.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: lmoore Re: Filamentous Algae quick question - 06/23/21 01:42 PM
Best way to control FA in a small pond environment is remove it, in my opinion. Get a big landscaping rake and pull the stubborn patches out with it. Spraying or applying granular algaecide will kill the patches, but if you leave them in the pond they will release their nutrients back into the water and you'll be fighting that fight again in no time. If you do decide to go that route, Cutrine is a popular and effective algaecide.
Posted By: Augie Re: Filamentous Algae quick question - 06/23/21 01:42 PM
Cutrine+ mix in a hand-pump sprayer according to label directions. Stick the sprayer nozzle into the water where you want to kill FA and let some go.
Posted By: jim100 Re: Filamentous Algae quick question - 06/23/21 05:27 PM
+ on the cutrine mentioned above. They make it in granules also that you can sprinkle on the trouble spots. 2-4-D is a no go on algae I would think.
Posted By: Michael37090 Re: Filamentous Algae quick question - 06/24/21 12:38 PM
I really appreciate all the input.

Thanks guys,
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Filamentous Algae quick question - 06/24/21 06:03 PM
2-4-D is for broadleaf plants and 2-4-D does not kill regular terrestrial grass, just most broadleaf plants.
© Pond Boss Forum