Pond Boss
Posted By: fishtruck New algae I have not seen? - 09/01/20 12:15 AM
What is this and how can I get rid of it? Or will it keep growing and become a problem?

Rob

Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: ewest Re: New algae I have not seen? - 09/01/20 04:42 PM
Looks like filamentous algae (FA on the forum) - which kind, not sure. See below - good pics and mgt options.

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/filamentous-algae/
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: New algae I have not seen? - 09/02/20 01:38 AM
Some filamentous algae, usually several genera as Cyanobacteria (bluegreen), are resistant to copper based products.
Posted By: esshup Re: New algae I have not seen? - 09/05/20 03:16 AM
Look at pictures of Lyngbya and Pithophora to see if it's any of those. Read the descriptions of each and compare to what's in your pond.

Bill, care to elaborate on those 2 types of algae?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: New algae I have not seen? - 09/08/20 01:50 AM
That algae is a mess I would not want. It is growing on a bare mud bottom. Nature demands that something grows in a fertile pond and what 'she' grows is sometimes not nice but it is something the that will tolerate the conditions.
Posted By: fishtruck Re: New algae I have not seen? - 11/24/20 08:15 PM
I found a small hole (not fine) fishing net on a windy day it get jammed into a corner and I am able to get a lot of it out and tossed on the bank.

Rob
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: New algae I have not seen? - 11/25/20 03:57 PM
Use a Fa Rake. It takes much of the work and time out of the chore...

The FA rake made from a landscaping rake, pool noodles, and some rope is the best way have have found to remove it from the pond. Throw the rake out into the FA mats with the rope around your wrist or ankle and then pull it back. There is no sense throwing really far, just 20 feet or so. As you drag the rake back in (rather slow), the FA further out will kinda follow the rake in so that it will be closer for the next throw. Also, take some 5 gallon buckets and drill about twenty 1/2" holes in the bottom. I used this to put the FA in at the shore, squish it down to de-water it so that it can be taken elsewhere. It's amazing how much surface coverage fits in a bucket. I utilize the wind to push the FA to one side and get what I can, then check daily for it to congregate again. Of course my BOW is small and I've only had a couple small outbreaks.

Here's my rake...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New algae I have not seen? - 11/25/20 03:59 PM
Nice descriptive pic, QA.
© Pond Boss Forum