Pond Boss
Posted By: LindyB American Lotus Problem - 07/14/20 03:08 PM
We have a 40 acre lake that is bordered with american lotus. I don't mind the borders being covered, although it is starting to spread into the open water and areas of swimming. Is there a granular product you can apply early in the spring before the lotus has emerged from the water? It doesn't emerge from the water until June and flowers in July. Is there a product you can put on right before it goes dormant? I am trying to prevent treatment in mid-summer when the lake is full of swimmers, despite many chemicals being "approved" for swimming, fishing, etc.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: American Lotus Problem - 07/14/20 05:34 PM
I've had success controlling A Lotus with Navigate granular. It's a 2,4-D herbicide, and is a little slower acting than spraying a liquid glyphosate. If the flowers bloom and drop seed heads, then expect random A Lotus popups for several more years.

AFTERTHOUGHT: Navigate ain't cheap. It's roughly $4 a pound. You might want to take a look at other treatments this year that are much cheaper, and should reduce the total acreage that needs Navigate next year. Glyphosates work well, but A Lotus has very waxy leaves, and treatment using a nonionic surfactant is needed.

American Lotus
Posted By: LindyB Re: American Lotus Problem - 07/14/20 06:22 PM
Do you just broadcast the granular out early in the spring season, like before the lotus has emerged? Or how do you apply the granular form? My husband sprayed liquid 2,4-D directly on the lotus last night with a surfactant. However, the lotus has already flowered in some locations so I am planning ahead for next year. Thanks for your response!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: American Lotus Problem - 07/14/20 06:39 PM
I waited until I started seeing the leaves, but that was just so I could target the worst areas first. I use a seed slinger that hangs around my neck, and always wear goggles and a face mask. Stay upwind, and spread it downwind if possible.
Posted By: Rebecca Re: American Lotus Problem - 04/18/21 11:08 PM
What about cutting them below the water line so they drown? I realize 40ac is big but if the areas you want to eradicate from are small enough that you'd be willing to do it by hand I'd at least try it
© Pond Boss Forum