Pond Boss
Posted By: jpws Controlling Grass - 07/01/20 07:08 PM
Now that it is hot, my pond is 60% covered in this awful grass.
What is it...and can it be controlled? I'm open to suggestions....please help!
It's no longer fishable as is.
It seems the entire bottom is covered with this grass, and it obviously is dying off and releasing with the heat.
I've manually raked some out, but wondering if there is another option.
the first pic is from raking along the bottom off the pier...one "sandtrap" rake full.
The second pic in the water if just masses of grass that has surfaced.
Please help.

Thanks

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: Bullwinkle Re: Controlling Grass - 07/02/20 12:17 PM
Algae. It is fed by sludge and sunlight. My pond has done this for years. I think I may have it on the run now; it looks better for this time of year than it has in 10 years. I am using a fountain for oxygenation and I currently have 2 aerators running to activate the bacteria on the bottom. Copper sulfate will kill the algae temporarily but then it falls to the bottom and creates excess nutrients so it becomes a vicious circle. Last weekend I rigged a "cowcatcher" on the front of a 12' v-bottom and circled the pond pushing the algae out the overflow. Even before that I only have about 10% coverage as opposed to the normal 60%.
Posted By: esshup Re: Controlling Grass - 07/19/20 12:10 AM
JPWS, it's not grass and its definitely not filamentous algae. You could stock 2-3 Triploid Grass Carp to eat it, or you could try a chemical herbicide to treat it. For a better ID you could go to TAMU Aquaplant and look at their submerged plant ID page. They will list treatment options once you find the correct plant.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Controlling Grass - 07/19/20 12:18 PM
It looks alot like the Southern Naiad that is in my pond. Also known as bushy pond weed, it could be another in the pondweed family. Like esshup said you need to identify it through TAMU. If you don't have grass carp get some. I am at 5 per acre and playing catch up. you may be in the same boat based on your remarks. And it is to hot for chemicals if you ask me or at least thats what I have learned in a attempt to solve my problem. Find some grass carp and stock them asap.
Posted By: -Tim- Re: Controlling Grass - 09/24/20 03:50 PM
Looks like the Sago pondweed, I have in my pond, Diquat will kill it, but you have to get the applicator down under the water and in the weed, surface application won't do it. Carp will also eat it. Pond dye may also help kill it by blocking the sunlight that feeds it.
© Pond Boss Forum