Pond Boss
Posted By: dracor controlling brown algae - 06/08/20 07:02 PM
my pond located in southern tier of ny ia approximately 1 acre 9 ft at deepest point….I have noticed what appears to be a green pollen in appearance that drifts to section depending which way wind blows. I took a white tissue and submerged it and its actually a brown algea...what are treatment options?
Posted By: Brad346 Re: controlling brown algae - 06/25/20 01:52 AM
I’m surprised someone smarter than me hasn’t been along to comment. Copper sulfate is the solution for algae. I have a similar problem. I bought a bag of copper sulfate. My neighbor uses it to keep algae off his irrigation screens. It didn’t have any info for pond use. I’ll get the parts per million figured our, but my advice is buy a product designed for fish ponds.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: controlling brown algae - 06/25/20 03:26 PM
For the thousands of algae species, each has a different tolerance to copper algaecides from very sensitive to completely resistant. All algae is definitely not the same.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: controlling brown algae - 06/26/20 02:13 PM
dracor, a few pics would sure help. Are you sure it's not just dying algae?

As always, B Cody is correct. I have have 2 ponds that are separated by a 30' dam, and both had blue/green algae this year. Both have the same watershed, and other than hardness, the water analysis' are the same. One reacted extremely well with bacteria, and completely eliminated the blue/green algae. The other pond didn't, and did sorta-kinda well with a full pond dosage of Captain and Aquashade. If the blue/green algae comes back in that pond, it's Aluminum Sulfate and hydrated lime next. As it's always said, "it all depends".
© Pond Boss Forum