Pond Boss
Posted By: OurLJPond Willow tree? - 05/31/20 01:41 PM
can you tell me if these are willow trees (see photos)? I have them all around my pond. I have mechanically removed them from the dam side, but I have left some to grow on the opposite side of the dam. Should I eradicate them, and what is the best way to do so? I have heard of the glyphosate glove of death.

Thanks!

Attached picture 20200531_074302.jpg
Attached picture 20200531_074240.jpg
Posted By: ar_confederate Re: Willow tree? - 05/31/20 02:26 PM
Those are willows. I THINK they are a scrub type willow, maybe a black willow. As thick as those are, I'd remove most of them personally. They will absorb a lot of water if they are at the pond's edge.
Posted By: snrub Re: Willow tree? - 06/01/20 12:15 AM
Look up the usage for Torodon or Crosbow. Kills woody plants. Don't get it in the water as it is toxic to fish. Follow label instructions.
Posted By: RAH Re: Willow tree? - 06/01/20 11:07 AM
A pond safe formulation of glyphosate would be effective. We remove every one to reduce their spread.
Posted By: OurLJPond Re: Willow tree? - 06/01/20 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info. What is pond safe? And how do you apply?
Posted By: snrub Re: Willow tree? - 06/01/20 02:05 PM
It is the active ingredient in Roundup herbicide, but there are formulations that have carriers that are suitable for aquatic applications. In other words, Roundup will kill weeds, but the carrier of the glyphosate in it is not approved for ponds. But there are formulations that are approved for pond use that have the carriers that will not harm your fish. Same goes for surfactant additives. You need one approved for aquatic situations.

A search should find several different brand names. Or ask a farm chemical dealer, they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Farm stores in some areas may carry an aquatic version.

It is the label and the law to use only approved formulations.
© Pond Boss Forum