Pond Boss
Posted By: StanV Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/26/20 08:58 PM
Just added 10 grass carp and 21 lbs of tilapia for our 3 1/2 ac lake, Overton's provided the fish. I can't say enough about Todd, great to work with and very accommodating with my schedule and this virus. Right at 100 miles drive and didn't lose one fish.

Great job Todd.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/27/20 01:26 AM
Stan, that seems low for tilapia, but then I don't know your particular situation. You are right about Overton's, they are a quality outfit.
Posted By: StanV Re: Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/27/20 06:08 AM
Yes, it's about a 1/3 of what Todd suggested, and being a small community lake it's the best I could do with funds available. We do have a bluegill base and this is our first stocking of any fish in over 20 years.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/27/20 08:13 AM
Well, you'll like how they help control algae, especially the nasty filamentous kind. Good eating, too!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/27/20 11:51 AM
I agree with Frank , Tp out of my pond are good eating but are a pain to clean one up for eating, I read somewhere when cleaning them don't let some of their body fluids get on the meat so I take extra care when cleaning one up. Not sure if it makes that much difference in taste though. As far as the grass carp stocking I added less than was recommended and went with 10 in my 3+ acre pond. I wanted to keep my APW but want the Bushy pond weed gone. Hope that works out.

MY Tp order is for 20 lbs per acre but I might need more due to the size of Tp and the size of my lmb and hsb.
Posted By: StanV Re: Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/27/20 09:19 PM
Tracy, we are approved for 18 GC on this 3 1/2 ac but thought that was overkill, 10 is a good start. I've controlled most of the moss/southern niad with reward/cutrine plus but the fish are cheaper and less work. We'll see.

As to the tilapia, I was told they will spawn at least 10 times this year. That's what I wanted to hear. Bonus, they eat the Filamentous algae, slime.

I never have heard of any special cleaning for tilapia.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/28/20 04:12 AM
Is this the stuff that the tilapia will eat. I'm sorry this was a good of picture I could get without getting wet.

Attached picture Screenshot_20200327-115943_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: StanV Re: Grass carp and Tilapia stocking - 03/28/20 11:21 AM
That appears to be Filamentous algae that has floated to the surface. If so, yes Tilapia will eat that.
© Pond Boss Forum