Pond Boss
Posted By: walleyeguy GLYPHOSATE 41 - 03/01/05 11:35 PM
Well, l guess through reading the posts, l feel that GLYPHOSATE 41 is the product that l should be trying to contro cattails. My pond is 2.5 acres and is located in Southern Ontario and was wondering where l can get GLYPHOSATE 41 in Ontario. Mr. Duffie, you are very knowledgeable about this topic and l wanted to know if l'm doing the right thing here.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: GLYPHOSATE 41 - 03/02/05 04:07 AM
Without know the details regarding your pond and its cattail population, I cannot speculate on the appropriateness of using herbicide treatments versus other management methods.

However, herbicides are often a viable management tool for controlling plant populations that have become too extensive to control with other means.

With those comments behind me, I would agree that GLYPHOMATE 41 - or one of the other aquatic-labeled glyphosate formulations - would be quite effective for cattails. But, I don't know where to suggest finding it in Ontario. However, you'll have plenty of time to locate a source since treatments should not be conducted until the cattails have begun to form the catkin (a seed-bearing structure formed near the terminal of the stalk).

Also, there is a new aquatic herbicide on the market (registered in late '03) called HABITAT. The active-ingredient (imazapyr) is extremely effective on cattails and many other emergent and shoreline species. As with glyphosate, imazapyr is considered a very environmentally-friendly herbicide.

Let me know if you're unable to locate a source for the product you decide upon - or have any questions regarding its use. Good luck.
Posted By: watergirl Re: GLYPHOSATE 41 - 03/05/05 03:17 PM
Walleyeguy-
I have had much success with using Shore-Klear for cattail(& phragmites) control at customers ponds and lakes. You are on the right track with wanting to use glyphosate. Good luck.
Posted By: walleyeguy Re: GLYPHOSATE 41 - 03/08/05 11:44 PM
Thanks for the replies.
One last question. Where would l be able to get GLYPHOMATE 41 and HABITAT in the USA.
Thanks
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: GLYPHOSATE 41 - 03/09/05 12:53 PM
Hi Walleyeguy here is where I bought mine and had it shipped to me. Fast service. But you might want to search for an aquatic ues product. I use it along the banks with no problems but not in direct application to water.

Bob

http://www.cooperseeds.com/viewitem.php3?prod=741
© Pond Boss Forum