Pond Boss
Posted By: Uncle E What kind of algae is this? - 03/22/14 09:39 PM
I found this in my 4 month old pond this morning. There are no fish in it yet. Is this algae something I need to be concerned with? It doesn't look like there is very much of it...yet.

Attached picture DSCN0006.JPG
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What kind of algae is this? - 03/22/14 09:51 PM
Filamentous algae. Normal for a new pond until some macrophytes get started. It's using nutrients i.e. phosphorus, nitrates, in the water. As long as it doesn't take over your pond I wouldn't worry.

Try to get some kind of buffer strip of vegetation around the pond to keep it at bay.

Oh and aquatic vegetation? If you build it they will come. Hopefully not the wrong kind!
Posted By: Uncle E Re: What kind of algae is this? - 03/22/14 10:39 PM
Thank you Cecil! As you can see, I need to get desirable vegetation planted along the entire bank. But that is a topic for another forum!

Description: View of the "forest" side of the pond. The water is deepest here, about 8'
Attached picture DSCN0010.JPG
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What kind of algae is this? - 03/22/14 11:30 PM
Uncle E best of luck and we've all been there trying to get stuff growing around the pond. Nothing as disappointing as being almost there and you get a gully washer that makes the pond look like chocolate.
Posted By: Zep Re: What kind of algae is this? - 03/23/14 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Try to get some kind of buffer strip
of vegetation around the pond to keep it at bay.

Cecil what would be your top 3 vegetation choices?
I've never really considered that tactic to help control FA.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What kind of algae is this? - 03/23/14 02:34 AM
Anything that stops erosion that leeches in nutrients or doesn't allow lawn fertilizers etc. to get past the barrier.
Posted By: Zep Re: What kind of algae is this? - 03/23/14 02:39 AM
Thanks Cecil.
I think I have some dwarf cattails growing in a few places
around the pond, but they dont spread much. They look like
dwarf cattails, but not sure. I may take a pic and ask for
possible ID.
© Pond Boss Forum