Pond Boss
Posted By: Drogo Tadpoles and FA - 05/21/12 01:31 PM
We had FA starting to grow seriously around our 1/4 acre pond. Not much floating yet, but it was all over the bottom. We've had tadpoles for a few weeks but this past weekend it struck us how they have clustered into a few areas, some of them are getting legs. There are thousands of them. And then I noticed...most of the FA is gone. Has anyone else experienced this?
Posted By: Drogo Re: Tadpoles and FA - 05/25/12 01:09 PM
Really? No one has ever experienced this?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Tadpoles and FA - 05/25/12 01:30 PM
Yes that can occur where there are lots of tadpoles. They are vegetarians and eat lots of algae. Amount of algae consumed depends on how many tadpoles one has per square ft of bottom covered with algae. If the current young of year batch of tadpoles are now getting legs this indicates they are likely toad tadpoles who mature first after the spring egg laying.
Posted By: nils olson Re: Tadpoles and FA - 06/06/12 06:39 PM
My bull frogs ate all the black tadpoles we had this year so now the FA is really taking off. Have treated the .7acre pond w/two rounds of beneficial bacteria and not much change in the FA in a weeks time. Do have copper sulfate but do not like to use it unless I have to.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Tadpoles and FA - 06/07/12 07:52 AM
My tadpoles do a great job of eating FA and I have lots of them. I added GSH last year because I remember someone saying their pond was full of them and they didn't have FA. I also have lots of plants and so far I haven't had even a trace of FA on the surface of the pond while most of the ponds near me have or have had FA. I walked the pond yesterday in chest waders and my spatterdock lilies were algae free on the stems down to the pond bottom, and when I would stop wading minnows would surround me. So with this total war against FA I've won so far, but the big test will be when we have the 100 degree index heat.
© Pond Boss Forum