Pond Boss
Posted By: Bluegill Fever Variable Leaf Pondweed control - 05/29/11 12:20 PM
The pondweed in my pond is already forming. We had this weed last year but never treated and it was almost imposible to go fishing. I do want to control this weed but I do not want to kill this other emergent plant. This weed grows around the pond and is great fish habitat. How could I kill the pondweed but not emergent weed.

Attached picture Aquatic Weed.jpg
Attached picture Aquatic Weed 2.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Variable Leaf Pondweed control - 05/29/11 03:04 PM
So, you want to kill the variable leaf pond weed that is in the water, but not the emergent plants that are growing on shore or in shallow water, correct?
Posted By: Bluegill Fever Re: Variable Leaf Pondweed control - 05/29/11 03:45 PM
Correct
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Variable Leaf Pondweed control - 05/29/11 11:24 PM
I can't determine the ID of the emergent plant in your photos. Possibly soft-stemmed bulrush. Not sure...
Nevertheless, AQUATHOL K applied topically on a calm day over areas that are infested with variable-leaf pondweed usually does a very good job - and poses minimal risk to emergent species, unless they're directly sprayed.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Variable Leaf Pondweed control - 05/30/11 01:44 AM
Fever - The emergent plant does it have a round stem or an angular or triangular stem in cross section?. Are those pinkish flowers I seen on the tops?
Does your variable pond weed have small oval floating leaves in the summer? There are several pondweeds that look very similar to variable pond weed.
Posted By: Bluegill Fever Re: Variable Leaf Pondweed control - 05/31/11 01:51 AM
It has a triangular stem in cross section. Those are pinkish flowers they just have bloomed when I took the picture. Last year I had Variable Leaf Pondweed and Bushy Pondweed(southern naiad) in the pond but these floating weeds are a brownish color and have no leaves. They are floating around the pond and is clumping up in some places. Pictures soon.
© Pond Boss Forum