Pond Boss
Posted By: Ricky W. Southern niad question - 01/27/08 03:46 PM
I have a pond about 1 1/4 acres that has a niad problem. I took some to Fish and Wildlife to verify and they said it was southern niad. I live in Kentucky and in the fall it starts dying out and right now its almost gone because of the cold water. When the water starts to warm in the spring it starts back again and will cover about 1/2 the pond by late summer. The pond is 5 years old. Three years ago I put 8 grass carp in the pond and 6 lived. Last year I put 8 more in. They eat the niad but can not seem to get it under control.Is it something that I will have to live with. Fish and Wildlife said it gave off large amounts of oxygen and thats good. It just makes fishing hard in late summer and the fall. Any information would be helpful. Thanks Ricky.
Posted By: bobad Re: Southern niad question - 01/27/08 05:48 PM
Have you tried fertilizing? If you can get a good plankton bloom and get the water pretty murky, it should help hold back explosive growth until the grass carp catch up to it.
Posted By: RileyS Re: Southern niad question - 03/26/09 07:43 PM
Naiads are a rough problem. My neighbor had them. She used Sonar Q. It is a systemic kill so Naiads will most likely not return. It is expensive though. If you are looking for a cheaper option you could use a product called Nautique. It works much faster and is cheaper, but the Naiads tend to return. This website will teach you more about Naiads and solutions... Hope I helped!

Posted By: ewest Re: Southern niad question - 03/26/09 09:55 PM
Look at this link for control options from Aquaplant.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/submerged_plants/southern_naiad_mgmt.htm
© Pond Boss Forum