Pond Boss
Posted By: Dustin P What pond grass is this? - 05/23/22 12:15 AM
I'm in NW Arkansas and just dug a pond in August. It's spring fed and clear. This stuff has popped up in all areas where the depth is less than 6 ft. Does anyone know what it is and how to treat it? Is it a grass or macro algae? Is there even a difference? Help?

Attached picture IMG_9753.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9755.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9757.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/23/22 04:43 AM
Take a single strand or two, put it in about 1" clean water in a glass baking dish with a piece of copy paper under it. Take a close clear picture of the plant you want identified.
Posted By: Dustin P Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/23/22 11:36 PM
Thanks for responding! Here ya go:

Attached picture IMG_9761[9043].jpg
Attached picture IMG_9762[9045].jpg
Posted By: jim100 Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/24/22 08:17 PM
More guys in the know will probably respond but it kind of looks like a water primrose of some sort.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/24/22 09:07 PM
Primrose doesn’t have that kind of underwater greenery does it, go back and look at the original pix, unless several kinds of plants together
Posted By: jim100 Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/29/22 06:19 PM
Did esshup have a look yet?
Posted By: esshup Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/30/22 02:15 AM
I've never seen that before. Could it be watercress? I asked Bob Lusk to look at it and that was his thought.
Posted By: Snipe Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/30/22 04:13 AM
My aquatic plant ID app says it's Waterthyme (Hydrilla verticillata)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/30/22 04:15 PM
Looking at all the photos, it's not watercress and it isn't hydrilla.

What's confusing is that it's immature. I've not seen that plant (that I know of), but my gut response it that it's a species of pondweed. If it's variable-leaf pondweed, it's not through maturing, yet. It's got all the earmarks of one of the pondweed species, but the leaves are throwing me off.
Posted By: esshup Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/30/22 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Lusk
Looking at all the photos, it's not watercress and it isn't hydrilla.

What's confusing is that it's immature. I've not seen that plant (that I know of), but my gut response it that it's a species of pondweed. If it's variable-leaf pondweed, it's not through maturing, yet. It's got all the earmarks of one of the pondweed species, but the leaves are throwing me off.

Where's Kelly Duffy when you need him? LOL
Posted By: Snipe Re: What pond grass is this? - 05/30/22 06:13 PM
In all of his pics I ran through the ID guide, I had 1 come up that said Vernal water-starwort (Callitriche palustris)????
Posted By: That One Guy Re: What pond grass is this? - 06/03/22 07:49 PM
Looks like Potamogeton diversifolius to me....
© Pond Boss Forum