Pond Boss
Posted By: RAH Plant ID? - 06/17/21 08:07 PM
This plant is growing in a moist area east of some woods where a seasonal stream comes into my pond. About 3-feet tall with a seed head near the ground on the stalk. Anyone know what this is? It looks tropical but is growing in Indiana. - Update: green dragon plant.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Steve_ Re: Plant ID? - 06/18/21 01:59 AM
My Google University Degree has come up empty.
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Plant ID? - 06/18/21 02:43 AM
RAH, really interesting find there. From Google search: Considered rare. Doesn't flower until year 2 or 3. Poisonous, as is its relative the Jack in the Pulpit. Wetland indicator. Birds eat the red seeds. All fascinating stuff.

Do you see any other immature specimens?
Posted By: Steve_ Re: Plant ID? - 06/18/21 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
RAH, really interesting find there. From Google search: Considered rare. Doesn't flower until year 2 or 3. Poisonous, as is its relative the Jack in the Pulpit. Wetland indicator. Birds eat the red seeds. All fascinating stuff.

Do you see any other immature specimens?

Did you find the name of it?
Posted By: RAH Re: Plant ID? - 06/18/21 11:03 AM
Smaller plants are nearby, but some have seeds so those are not immature. Wife will try to grow from seed like she did with jack in the pulpit (once the seeds mature). We have a partially shady wetland where they may do well. Yes - Finally found on Google, but took a while.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Plant ID? - 06/18/21 11:42 AM
The closest I can come up with....Arisaema dracontium- Common Name(s): Dragon Arum, Dragon-Root, Green Dragon.

Is that what you came up with RAH?
Posted By: RAH Re: Plant ID? - 06/18/21 12:07 PM
Yes "green dragon" - Took a while to find using Google. Very cool plant! Name seems to come from the single multifaceted leaf looking like dragon wings.

Posted By: jim100 Re: Plant ID? - 06/18/21 12:40 PM
Very cool and not super common plant!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Plant ID? - 06/19/21 11:45 AM
It's funny that you posted this. I've never seen one on my place, but I saw one while I was mowing yesterday. Beautiful plant! Thanks for putting the image in my mind.

Attached picture 20210619_064549.jpg
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Plant ID? - 06/21/21 01:06 PM
Looks like a cross between a May Apple and a palm tree. smile
© Pond Boss Forum