Pond Boss
Posted By: nvcdl Coral like plants/algea? - 08/25/20 05:55 PM
I've notice one cornor of my pond has a number of coral like plants growing - some the size of watermelons.

Does anyone know what these are?

Can see in second picture there are other plants under the watershield. Little fish seem to like handing around them.

Attached picture IMG_0001.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0002.JPG
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/25/20 06:33 PM
Try looking up "bryozoans". Pretty interesting stuff.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/25/20 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
Try looking up "bryozoans". Pretty interesting stuff.

Yup that is what they appear to be. They are clustered in the corner of the pond near the overflow.

They seem to be filter feeders - probably one of the reasons I rarely get a bloom in the pond even when fertalizing.
Posted By: ewest Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/25/20 07:58 PM
An indicator of good quality water.

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached picture PA190005.JPG
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/25/20 08:19 PM
These things are so neat. They're invertebrate animals, too!
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/25/20 09:14 PM
I had 90% of the water shield in the pond die earlier this summer after using Navigate herbacide (affected whole pond rather than just areas I treated). Suspect these creatures were not affected.

Had a bloom when the weeds were decomposing and I treated the pond with 10lbs of Perfect Pond. Lasted a few days. In past only experienced a bloom in fall when the water shield were dieing.

Since then weeds have grown back a bit along the shores I didn't treat (but only about 1/4 the ammount I had prior to applying herbacide). Even after heavy fertilizing (30 lbs applied in a month - perfect pond fertilizer in 1 3/4 ac pond) can't get a bloom and water visabilty is about 4' now. Thinking it may be best to let the weeds grow out on all but one shore next year as if I can't get a bloom the weeds seem to provide a lot of food for the fish. Always see the small fish picking at the weeds.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/26/20 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by nvcdl
I had 90% of the water shield in the pond die earlier this summer after using Navigate herbacide (affected whole pond rather than just areas I treated). Suspect these creatures were not affected.

Had a bloom when the weeds were decomposing and I treated the pond with 10lbs of Perfect Pond. Lasted a few days. In past only experienced a bloom in fall when the water shield were dieing.

Since then weeds have grown back a bit along the shores I didn't treat (but only about 1/4 the ammount I had prior to applying herbacide). Even after heavy fertilizing (30 lbs applied in a month - perfect pond fertilizer in 1 3/4 ac pond) can't get a bloom and water visabilty is about 4' now. Thinking it may be best to let the weeds grow out on all but one shore next year as if I can't get a bloom the weeds seem to provide a lot of food for the fish. Always see the small fish picking at the weeds.

If fertilizing doesn't work, sometimes there is something wrong with the water chemistry. I don't know the details on that one, though, see if you can get an expert to weigh in on possible problems.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/26/20 02:57 PM
Those are some good "jelly blob" pics.
Posted By: ewest Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/26/20 04:41 PM
Have you had your water and soil tested ? There may be a limiting factor other than fertilizer.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Coral like plants/algea? - 08/27/20 12:48 AM
Water is slightly acid - think it was like 6.8. Haven't tested pond hardness but the water around here is hard.

I'm leaning towards the plants and bryozoans making it not bloom as I do get blooms when they are dying in the fall.

On postive side I can feed the fish heavily without too much worry. Have been feeding them about 10lbs of food every day.
© Pond Boss Forum